The Taste Of War--Lizzie Collingham

By popular demand - The book review section.
Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

The Taste Of War--Lizzie Collingham

First I'd like to say that I don't really feel qualified to write a comprehensive review of this book, and I don't want to stir anything up (no flaming please!). I can't say that I enjoyed the book, as it was painful to read. It's about the role of food in shaping world powers and cultures; abundance, lack of, quest for, and supplies of, before, during , and after World War II. It's also about how food supplies probably affected the outcomes of the war, and the immense suffering throughout the war and afterward for lack of food.

Please excuse my naivete (sp?), but so much of this was new information to me. In school we studied pieces and parts, but never got into the collective global experience of "total war". This was an extremely thought-provoking book for me, and I have a much better understanding now of why we Americans are thought of the way we are throughout the world.

I'm not apologizing for being an American, and I'm not waving any flags. I would very much recommend this book to any of my American friends here on Ish. It's fair, unflinching, and balanced, and it's definately an education.

If any of you live near (Cambridge) or know Ms. Collingham, please thank her for me for this book, and for helping me to understand.
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: The Taste Of War--Lizzie Collingham

Sounds very interesting, might see if I can get a copy through the library.

If you're interested in more current food politics, have a look at the Marion Nestle book. It's very rare I read a text book cover to cover but I couldn't put this down.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin