UK centric Permaculture books

By popular demand - The book review section.
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

UK centric Permaculture books

Hi All

I am very interested in Permaculture and I have an idea about starting a Community garden based on permaculture principles to help people who qualify for food banks to grow their own food.

Most of the permaculture books I have read and the videos I have seen tend to be USA based and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for decent permaculture books written for the UK climate.

I have read Permaculture in a nutshell by Patrick Whitefield and it is a very good initial overview of permaculture but I need something more practical now.

Ideally I will go on a permaculture design course but cannot afford it at the moment so I am going to have to rely on books and youtube for now.

So if you have read a good uk permaculture book please let me know

Thanks

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: UK centric Permaculture books

gregorach

The Earth Care Manual, also by Patrick Whitefield, is the classic reference for temperate permaculture.
Cheers

Dunc

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Guys

I will check them out

I do like Patrick Whitefield's style so I will see if I can get hold of a copy of that.

I see he also does an online PDC so that might be something to to aim towards

Thanks again

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

tizzy
Tom Good
Tom Good

We have that one, it is good

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

"How to grow perennial Vegetables" by Martin Crawford is excellent. Lots of practical stuff in there. Also info on hardiness zones which can be essential if you get cold nights or late frosts frequently where you live. Covers water/pond plants as well which could be something a bit different to add to your veg production.

southeast-isher

clanpowell wrote:"How to grow perennial Vegetables" by Martin Crawford is excellent. Lots of practical stuff in there. Also info on hardiness zones which can be essential if you get cold nights or late frosts frequently where you live. Covers water/pond plants as well which could be something a bit different to add to your veg production.
This book is very very good. I bought the ebook as a PDF direct from Green Books.

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Clanpowell

Great suggestion, That is a fantastic book and one that I will go back to time and time again

mamos

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just bought this

I have seen a few interviews with Mr Dowding on youtube and he really seems to know his stuf

I will let you know what it is like

mamos

tizzy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Mamos, have you checked with your local council or other organisations to see if there are any grants available? As you are setting up a community enterprise they may have grants to help it get started.
A friend of mine is doing something similar and they get funding from local charities and the council. It paid for an introduction to permaculture course for the participants and a designer to help them plan the site.

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Tizzy

I have been talking to the local authorities and they have give me some good leads which I am following up.

mamos