The Allotment Book: Andi Clevely

By popular demand - The book review section.
Cheezy
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Allotment Book: Andi Clevely

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Santa came ladden with reading matter this Christmas.

This is an excellent book for the beginner but I guess there is good stuff for the more experienced.

It was recommended on GQT, and it is very good.
I've always had a mental block getting the right soil conditions for the right set of crop groups, what then to rotate to and with which companions/catch crops . And this does a good job at explaining it all.

It does jump around a bit, however it's all cross referenced through out, it is easy to read.

Highly recommended.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Chickpea

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 pm

I've got this one. I agree with you Cheezy it's more suitable for beginners; anyone with any experience would just flick through it and sniff "Nothing new". But I think even a beginner would be better served by a really practical how-to book. It's all style and no content, in my opinion. It's got some nice photos and it's quite a good read for getting you motivated, but I can't say I've ever used it once as a reference, to find out how to do something.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:01 am

Andi Contacted me a while back, he was going to reference this site not sure why he did not. I can vouch that he is a nice bloke though :mrgreen:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Return to “Book Reviews”