Pickled onion marmalade, it's cheep and quik, grate for xmas

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Pickled onion marmalade, it's cheep and quik, grate for

But what size? I'm the only person who put what size bottle I used, as I don't have a clue whether one is supposed to use a litre for 3kg or 0.5 litres for 4kg or what? The thing is the onions did not 'absorb' any of the liquid as stated so I kept on cooking until they were less swimming in the liquid, but it would have been better if there had been more liquid to actually cover the onions in the jars - but you just don't know until you start bottling things up. :dontknow: I've never tasted onion marmalade so I don't know what it's supposed to taste like either! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

organicsi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Pickled onion marmalade, it's cheep and quik, grate for

I think the quantity of onions is variable as is the cooking time as the water content can be so different. It cooks down until the onions are very soft and the liquid is like when you make any chutney. I think you are right the onions don't absorb but the water in the vinegar and the onions boils away so what you are left with is concentrated flavour of both, mixed.
You might need to change the amount of sugar, the mug measurement in the recipe worked ok. Its tastes like sweet pickle but is pretty mild because the vinegar is not as acidic as malt.