Sosmix

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sosmix

This is hard to come by in France so I usually bring a few boxes back from the UK. I know it's probably seen as a bit "naff" but I find it really useful living in a place where vegetarians struggle for anything other than, well - vegetables (plus a few lentils, pasta, etc)! I must admit I had never previously realised quite how much "sausage meat" a full pack makes.

We have our French neighbours coming round tonight for a sampling of our homemade wine. To them we apparently fall into the "strange but harmless" category and they always enjoy the Brit things I make for them. They are fascinated by the concept of wine NOT made from grapes. So they will be having a glass of blackberry, one of rosehip and apple and another of pumpkin before I finish them off with a glass of my coffee gin.

Having made this huge bowl full of Sosmix I have managed to come up with four Scotch Eggs, 12 sausage rolls, two sausages for breakfast and two burger type things for the freezer. And all for, I think, a bit less than two pounds.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

hedgewitch

Re: Sosmix

Yeah Sosmix ROCKS!!
I used to stock up on it all the time.
Course, now it's not vegan it is just a distant memory...but I'm used to those.
:flower:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Graye

Is it non-vegan? I didn't know that. I didn't notice anything in the ingredients list (I always have to check for nuts). What's the problem ingredient? I used the country herb version.

hedgewitch

The ingredients have only recently been changed. You can still buy old packs which will still be vegan but all new ones from now on, alas, will not be.
They have reduced the hydrogenated fat content, which is a good thing, but they have added milk powder which is not good.

Here's a petition to sign

http://www.petitiononline.com/sosmix/
My Blog
My Website

Graye

OK, thanks for that. Both my packs are well within the sell by date but say they are suitable for either vegan or vegetarian and I don't see milk powder listed. What a daft thing to do when it has always been such a staple for all sorts of veggies.

As I'm not vegan I will still buy it but I was a bit concerned (with the nut thing) that they may be sneaking things in without mentioning it.

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What a useful thread - I haven't had sosmix for years and had forgotten how economical it was.
My first husband was a meat and two veg man, and a fussy one at that, and wouldn't contemplate anything that could conceivably be labelled vegetarian. My new(ish) husband is a dream to feed and will eat anything, and genuinely enjoys a real variety of foods.
As we're trying to reduce (and maybe eliminate) our meat intake and also embrace a more frugal lifestyle it will be well worth reacquainting myself with this wondrous reminder of my poverty-stricken youth!

hedgewitch

Graye wrote: What a daft thing to do when it has always been such a staple for all sorts of veggies.
Yeah - it's insane.
My Blog
My Website

Graye

So they went away (staggered actually...) completely unconvinced that the sausage rolls contained no meat. I must admit they were delicious. They were also completely taken by home-made pickled cabbage and shallots. So now they are coming back next weekend for mince pies and mulled wine. Describing the content of mince pies should be interesting...

So few French people appear to be vegetarians and restaurant menus are usually dominated by meat dishes. I wonder why? There is a vegetarian English food stall on a market about 40k from us and as well as being surrounded by Brits whenever we go there, I notice lots of northern Europeans and a just few French. They sell Sosmix so I suppose I will be there soon to stock up.

I'm still working on these neighbours to drink a cup of "real" English tea with milk but they won't be convinced!

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sosmix is fantastic although I haven't had any for a while I think I will get some this week as it is a good standby to have in the cupboard.

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

thanks for the reminder - I must get some in - we have veggie visiting at Yule
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Shirley

The last time I bought some was by mistake. Someone had ordered it via the Neeps food co-op and it had been duly delivered on the Friday... overnight the dog decided that we'd not been feeding her enough and ripped the bag open and eaten half of it! Thankfully there were no ill effects, but I did regulate her water intake for several hours!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Big Al

Graye wrote:So they went away (staggered actually...) completely unconvinced that the sausage rolls contained no meat. I must admit they were delicious. They were also completely taken by home-made pickled cabbage and shallots. So now they are coming back next weekend for mince pies and mulled wine. Describing the content of mince pies should be interesting...

So few French people appear to be vegetarians and restaurant menus are usually dominated by meat dishes. I wonder why? There is a vegetarian English food stall on a market about 40k from us and as well as being surrounded by Brits whenever we go there, I notice lots of northern Europeans and a just few French. They sell Sosmix so I suppose I will be there soon to stock up.

I'm still working on these neighbours to drink a cup of "real" English tea with milk but they won't be convinced!

it's cos they are french.... nearly as bad as being ginger and welsh.... (only a joke for the pc anti racist brigade on here)

alan
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sosmix patties fried in a little olive oil served with a pouched egg and lightly toasted but well buttered rye and soda bread mmm....

I had forgotten that one

romie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Never tried it

But now going to buy it
Sounds tempting...I'll report back if i survive

Mylovelyhorse
Tom Good
Tom Good

Appantently the owners of Sosmix have said that they didn't realise adding milk powder to the recipe would be such a big issue for people (!?). And now they know that it IS important, they will change the recipe again. So the non vegan thing is just a bit of a blip, and the new stock will be OK for vegans.