Scrap soup..

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
patR
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Scrap soup..

We had guests over for a meal the other day, I had quite a lot of carrots that needed using up so cooked tons.. they being veggies I assummed they'd polish them off..
no such luck, seems they dont really eat a lot of 'fresh stuff' hehehehe they live on packet sosmix etc
So, to use up the cooked carrots I made scrap soup... make from the scraps of last nights meal...just dont tell my OH, he hates leftovers..
in a heavy bottom pan put, a good slurp of olive oil, one cubed spud, one chopped onion, a good handful of chopped parsley (I had loads to get used up) and the cooked carrots, fry gently till all nice and mixed. Just cover with water, add veg stock cube and cok till spud is soft... wizz till smooth with hand blender... season to taste... he had it with cheesy soda bread for lunch and loved it.... :sunny:
It works with mostleftover veg, or even odds and ends mixed together too.
http://www.crazyfeetfootwear.com
for something just a little bit different

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Scrap soup..

Dear Patr,

I agree, "what's left in the garden/fridge/freezer" soup is really good. But your guests seem to reflect a lot of the "political/lifestyle" veggies I've encountered. They're just not INTERESTED in real food. I'm not knocking committed vegetarian/vegans for whom I have a lot of respect, and there are plenty on this site. But I've known "lifestyle/political" veggies who just eat the vegan equivalent of factory produced junk food, which can't be doing them any good as would fresh veg, beans, grains etc. REAL food made from fresh (preferably organic, local or home grown produce) properly prepared is a joy almost equivalent to the Karma Sutra. Artificially flavoured fryits and sossmix ..... have as much resemblance to food as their packaging.

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

janemiss
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I regularly make this kind of thing, especially as our local farm shop usually has netting sacks of carrots or onions for about £1.50. They are not usually top quality standard but for that price who can complain. In the supermarket you would probably get a small plastic bag with about 6-8 carrots or onions in for about the same price!
So i usually try to use them up and make soups & freeze them.
I dont eat meat and have wondered round the local health food shops looking at all the vege mixes/frozen/chilled stuff they sell, and frankly i think i'd have to get a second job to support my shopping bill if i was to start buying these, the prices are absolutely ridiculous. Everything looks the same colour as well !, a bit of a sludgy browny grey colour. Give me a trip to the local market anyday to come home with a big shopping bag full of vibrant carrots, cabbages, celery, tomatoes, kale, courgettes & aubergines and all for a fraction of the price of a couple of packet mixes of the health food shopbought stuff.

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

jim wrote:
But your guests seem to reflect a lot of the "political/lifestyle" veggies I've encountered. They're just not INTERESTED in real food. I'm not knocking committed vegetarian/vegans for whom I have a lot of respect, and there are plenty on this site. But I've known "lifestyle/political" veggies who just eat the vegan equivalent of factory produced junk food, which can't be doing them any good as would fresh veg, beans, grains etc. REAL food made from fresh (preferably organic, local or home grown produce) properly prepared is a joy almost equivalent to the Karma Sutra. Artificially flavoured fryits and sossmix ..... have as much resemblance to food as their packaging.
I quite agree Jim, even having been one of Those veggies myself. At age 15 I started complaining that I didn't like this meat, or that meat, etc., etc. Feeling that I would be missing a part of the meal if I didn't have meat, my mother replaced the meat with a substitute. Back in those days, most vegetarian food was vegetables compressed into different shapes. It was all the same stuff, but in a burger, dalesteak or sausage shape. Occasionally we had sosmix, but it was a bit too much messing about for my mother when there were ready-made things available to buy.

When I grew up and left home, I didn't even think about it, just continued the menus. It was a bit boring, I must admit, but I really felt I didn't like the taste, texture, smell, look, sight or thought of meat. In my early adulthood, I had hardly enough money to buy food, and couldn't afford to buy the equipment to make it, not even baking trays! I didn't have the knowledge, had had the confidence drummed out of my as a child, and it rarely and barely crossed my mind to make my own. Then when I left uni in my early 30s, I got a job which took up far more of my time than I was paid for and I simply didn't have the time to spend thinking about food. What a lot has changed since then. Events forced us to consider our financial options and we decided to go down the Ish route. I've now given up vegetarianism (having realised I had never tasted meat cooked by me - and I'm quite impressed even if I do say so myself) and eat plenty of vegetables and very little stuff that's not home-made. I've never felt healthier in my life*.

Back to the subject of soup, though. The other day at 11:30am my nearly-3-year-old suddenly announced, "I want some tomato soup". Not chocolate, not crisps - soup! Yay! :cheers:

*Edited to add that I put this down as much to giving up processed vegetarian food as to eating more veg and home-made food, plus the excercise I get growing it and the satisfaction I get from working hard to quite literally put food on the table.
Rosey xx

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sounds lovely. I make masses of soup, esp with stuff that's on special offer. DH has been veggie since age 17 and does like sosmix, quorn etc, but also creates lovely meals from pulses. Our household income has plummeted lately so one of the first casualties was quorn. I personally think that I'm a much healthier meat-eater than he is a veggie, I'm far slimmer (which is a polite way of saying he's significantly overweight) and place much more importance on fresh fruit and veg. I'd never call him a 'lifestyle veggie' but he likes his Sosmix 'sausages'. To be fair, it's easier to eat that way in a mixed veg/corpse-munching household as I can essentially make one meal and he and SS get the veg equivalent of what we're having. Or used to have, meat is also more or less off the menu these days. Thank god we can both cook or we wouldn't be able to afford to feed ourselves and four kids.
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/