Mock Goose

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mock Goose

I know I've mentioned my amazing Grandma Leah before - we correspond via MSN regularly despite her being 89 years old. She has a wonderful scrapbook/cookbook of Polish/Jewish recipes handwritten by her mother in the 1920s and 30s which has been augmented over the years by her own wartime favourites once the family found its way to the UK. I've been asking her about Homity Pie and she couldn't recall having anything but has since come up with this from an old cutting, which, were it cooked into a pastry shell, would probably be very similar. I'll give it a try!

To serve 4
Ingredients
1 and a half lb Potatoes
2 large cooking apples
4 oz cheese
half a teaspoon dried sage
salt and pepper
three quarters of a pint vegetable stock
1 tablespoon flour

Scrub and slice the potatoes thinly, slice apples and grate the cheese. Grease an ovenproof dish, place a layer of potatoes on it, cover with apples and a little sage, season lightly and sprinkle with cheese, repeat layers leaving enough potatoes and cheese to make a final cover. Pour in half a pint of the stock and cook in a moderate oven for three quarters of an hour. Blend flour with remainder of the stock, pour into dish and cook for another quarter hour.

She says she always put plenty of garlic in because this was one of the things her father used to grow and then plait into strings to sell along with his caraway seeds and Polish bread beer. Apparently the Jewish community always had extra cheese rations because the didn't take up their bacon and ham allocation so she has plenty of ideas involving cheese!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!