Jam inspiration needed.

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Jam inspiration needed.

I need to make more jam to see us though the winter, but I have run out of inspiration on what to make.
So far I have made:

Elderberry and blackberry
Strawberry
Strawberry and Gooseberry
Apple
Rosehip (will be made once they are ready)

What is everyone else making?

Thanks Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

eccentric_emma

Re: Jam inspiration needed.

i think Mrs Flibble did some kind of lavender jam? I may be wrong but I'm sure someone did!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Millymollymandy

It depends on what fruit you have at the moment! I'll be making some jellies later on (from frozen fruit) so there's no pressure like having to make jam from fresh fruit. :cheers:

I plan on making bramble jelly and I've yet to decide on a jelly mix out of what I have tons of which is elderberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants, plus some fresh apples from the orchard. Think I might try elderberry, redcurrant and apple to see what that'll be like, and use up the blackcurrants making (more) cordial and some coulis.

I've already made 12 jars of greengage jam (that'll last for years!) and strawberry preserve.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

On top of what you've got, is there any fruit around you can beg or agree to swap for a pot of jam?

So many people seem to have fruit trees they don't know what to do with.

What about sloes, hips, haws and rowan and other foraged stuff like that. Our season up here is a bit later so I'm not sure what's still available.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

red

spiced apple jelly? - you should be able to beg some windfalls from somewhere - an if you make jelly - it doesn't really matter how good they are.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

penny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Harvest fruit Jam

lovely on hot toast

2.3/4lb sugar
2tbls lemon juice
2" cinnamon stick
l lb eating apples
l lb plums
l lb cooking pears.
1/2 pint water.

makes approx 4 lb

*put apple and pear peels,cores and stones and cinnamon in muslin,tie.
*put this & all the fruit, lemon juce in pan,add water, bring very slow to boil,
* then simmer 25mins to make all the fruit soft
* take out the muslin bag thats got the peeling.
*add warmed sugar,stir till dissolved.finish as usual jam making

StripyPixieSocks

Sadly I have yet to make jam but my parents have been making some lately:

Rhubarb and Orange (which my Dad loved even tough he doesn't like Rhubarb)
Plum
Damson

... and with the aid of my wee Nephew... Lemon Curd

We have some of their Damson in the fridge and it's great :)

bobby280
Tom Good
Tom Good

Rowans are everywhere and FREE. Pile in.

Millymollymandy

Do you still have rowan berries around at the moment Bobby? Mine dropped off, leaves too, at least a month ago!

boboff

I am munching on Bagels and Seedless Raspberry jam as I type, lush.

This year my favorite has been Raspberry jelly. It works well as it only takes 400g of raspberry, which is about what I pick at a time.

Chop roughly your apples ( 1 - 2 kg) add to pan with raspberries, bit of lemon juice, 1 - 2 litres of water (well covered) simmer for 40 minutes till pulpy, put through jelly bag overnight. Add 1lb of sugar per pint of juice (500g per 600ml) rapid boil and simmer till you get to Jam set point.

Always seems to set for me.

My best preserve this year though has to be Crab Apple mint jelly. It is really very good indeed. You can eat it with anything, especially good in kebabs and pitta.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bobby280
Tom Good
Tom Good

Millymollymandy wrote:Do you still have rowan berries around at the moment Bobby? Mine dropped off, leaves too, at least a month ago!
Yeah, loads. I'm in leeds. Gonna make some rowan/elder/blackberry jelly tonight for christmas and a birthday present. Hoping to be more successful than last time and not overboil it.

Millymollymandy

Good luck, that sounds like an interesting mix. I like things like that! I've done apple, redcurrant and elderberry jelly which is delish. :iconbiggrin:

catboy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

how about using veg instead of fruit? sort of like a sweeter, less savoury chutney? i'm sure corgettes or carrots could be used to make something nice and sweet, as when roasted, they tend to really release their sugars....mmmm...

boboff

SusieGee wrote:
boboff wrote: My best preserve this year though has to be Crab Apple mint jelly. It is really very good indeed. You can eat it with anything, especially good in kebabs and pitta.
Hi Boboff haven't seen you around much lately! Do you have a recipe for your crab apple and mint jelly? I'm embarrassed to say I have a crab apple tree laden with tiny fruits and I haven't done a thing with them yet -I think I've been put off by all that dripping juice through muslim thing :lol: but I really should have a go.

Susie

I lurk!

Well you should use them as they are the best apples I think for making savory jellies.

First job is to make it easy on yourself and stop the mint floating, to do this you need to get the mint pretty well saturated with sugar. Chop it up, add it to a pan of boiling water, enough to cover, then add about the same amount of sugar and dissolve, leave this to then cool overnight. (The big boys soak in fructose to achieve this same end)

Just cut the crab apples in half and add to the pan, cover with water, juice and rind of a lemon. You can add mint stalks and leaves etc here but do not have too, it adds to the flavour.

Boil until pulpey, and then strain through a jelly bag ( I bought one with a plastic stand that convenient sits on top of a jam pan, so the juice goes where you want. Leave for a min of 2 hours.

Add your 500g of sugar per 600ml of juice to the pan, and boil to jam set. At this point you could take some off for other jellies, if you chop up your herbs with sugar on the board, it again helps with floating. I have made Sage, Basil, Thyme, Parsley, and they are all good. Just put the herbs and sugar in the number of jars you want to make and then top up with the jelly. I picked lavender flowers on a couple of jars and added which look lovely, and I think will make great gifts for Christmas. Anyway, once you have finished faffing, add your mint syrup to the remaining juice and stir, make sure your still hot, I know you are, hey baby!, and put in jars and seal, baby food jars are good size, and the lids re-use ok.

There you are, you should get a lovely rose coloured jelly with mint and sharp apple jelly tones.

Oh, and the reason I "discovered" this recipe? Well the mint jelly I had made I had put too much mint stalks in the original mix, and it went like a lump of grass in the pan, and when I drained it and made it, it did not set, so I already had my mint pretty well saturated with sugar, a serendipitous error in hindsight!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bobby280
Tom Good
Tom Good

Disaster. Made loads of jelly lst night, somehow much more than i had jars for, but it hasn't set. I think it was a combo of lack of pectin and undercooking but it could have been one or the other. Other than giving away to use as syrup (I think it will go nicely with vanilla icecream or as a sauce with game) is there any way I can cook it again to make it set, possibly adding pectin? Or, I have some rubbery jelly from last time when I overcooked it (yes, i am a pro) - could i melt that down, add the unset and hope that works? Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Bob