Too many cabbages!!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Susiwaa
Tom Good
Tom Good

Too many cabbages!!

Hi!

Does anyone have any yummy recipes for using up cabbage? Or for that matter recipes for preserving it in some way.

we seem to be accumulating them rather than using them!

Mostly red ones.

thanks in advance

:flower:

Susi

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

Re: Too many cabbages!!

If you like spicy food you could try making "KIMCHEE" Korean spicey cabbage, you ferment it in jars that are buried in the ground.
It is buried in the summer and dug up and eaten in the winter. you can probably find the "how to's" on the web. :study:
There is also a russian red cabbage dish called borshcht, not sure of the spelling, but i think it is made from red cabbage and beets.
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

the hard cabbages keep for ages and ages in the fridge, if well wrapped.

i braise my red cabbages, with onion, apple, bornw sugar spices, garlic and malt vinegar - I've given up following a recipe for it but there are lots out there.

once cooked, it freezes really well and great for an instant vegetable. we really like it with out thingymas dinner.

white cabbage mostly gets consumed as garlic cabbagein our house - its almost raw - cooked brielfly in garlic and butter....
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

pumpy

This year we had a really good harvest (early season). We just pulled 'em, cut 'em up then froze 'em ( no blanching). When ready just cook as normal......loads of flavour. Incidentally, when harvesting, cut the cabbage off at the top of the stem (which you leave in the ground), cut a cross in the top of the stem, & you should end-up with 4 mini cabbages.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've just pickled a load in various vinegar and red wine and flavoured with cinnamon, chilli, star anise and peppercorns. It smells wonderful. I love a dollop of pickled red cabbage atop a veggie stew.

Susiwaa
Tom Good
Tom Good

Loads of yummy ideas, must investigate them all!!

Thanks everyone

:flower:

Susi

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lady Willow wrote:I've just pickled a load in various vinegar and red wine and flavoured with cinnamon, chilli, star anise and peppercorns. It smells wonderful. I love a dollop of pickled red cabbage atop a veggie stew.
'
I second this idea - i have made cabbage pickle for the first time this year - it looks fantastic, haven't tasted it yet but it is supposed to be fantastic :-)
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength