what have you cooked today

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: what have you cooked today

Mayonnaise and it doesn't taste half bad but I think it would have been cheaper to just go buy some the time it took. Drizzled and dropped oil patiently whilst using probably a massive amount of electric powering the electric mixer.

Also made home-made home-grown veggie soup from a random selection of whatever was ready to harvest in our veggie garden this morning.
Tastes divine but is the colour of poo!

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I made hedgerow jelly yesterday - apples, blackberries, sloes, elderberries and a few redcurrants. And very nice it was too on my toast this morning.

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sounds interesting. I always freeze apples, blackberries and redcurrents, am assuming you froze the sloes and elderberries, I have never thought of doing this, will have to give it a try this year. :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

bonniethomas06

Clare - I like how your stove top helpfully points out that it might be hot! :wink:

Not today but last night - cottage pie made with the leftover beef, potatoes and carrots from the sunday roast dinner. With some broc.

And OH made some teacakes, which I will be having for my breakfast at my desk in a minute.

Am enjoying the last of the winter stoge with all this wintery food.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

chicken that's left over from sunday with some garden broccoli and left over rice - nice

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

pelmetman wrote:Sounds interesting. I always freeze apples, blackberries and redcurrents, am assuming you froze the sloes and elderberries, I have never thought of doing this, will have to give it a try this year. :flower:
Exactly. 1kg of apples (crab or cooking - chopped whole) and 1kg of mixed berries. Add 1.2l of water and simmer until everything is soft. Drain through a scalded jelly bag overnight and to every 600ml of juice add 450g sugar. Dissolve then boil to setting point.

Other suitable berries include rosehips. haws, bullace, rowan berries etc

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Veggie savoury pancakes - see how to make them on my blog xxx
Attachments
PICT0020.JPG
PICT0020.JPG (61.8 KiB) Viewed 4242 times

thesunflowergal

This afternoon the girls and I made a Lemon Drizzle cake and a golden syrup sponge to have tomorrow. My kids love cooking, the five year old can make sponge on her own, and the two year old has a good go :icon_smile:

I love to see what everyone is cooking.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

I haven't got time for cooking anything that requires much time at the moment as there's so much to do outside now!

The pancakes remind me that I haven't made pancakes yet as we went out to a friend's for lunch on Pancake Day and I took a cheesecake. Must do them this week - or maybe we'll have them for Easter instead of chocolate! :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

thesunflowergal

Last night i made my first ever loaf of bread, it was a garlic and rosemary flat bread. It needed more garlic but other than that it turned out really well.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Some great ideas here - I'm flagging a bit with my meal planning.

So far today all I've 'cooked' is toast (but made with home-made bread, and another loaf is doing as I speak), but yesterday I made a lasagne with puy lentils. That worked out very well, even the baby wolfed it, and the quantities given were my kind of quantities - after feeding five of us two helpings each there were two entire lasagnas left to go in the freezer! That's the MIL's visit sorted :mrgreen:

Today I think I'm planning a fairy cake marathon, 60 or so, but will have to be later when the men are finished outside and I have backup with the baby.
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

number6
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

This is something I make on a regular basis the instructions come from my mum who used to make this when we were kids I've recently convinced her to make it again
Mums Lemon Squash

Mince 4 Lemons

Add 3lb Sugar Pour on 2 pints of boiling water stir until desolved.

Leave overnight add 1oz tartaric acid.

Strain through course strainer and bottle. Dilute to taste.

I use a hand blender instead of mincing.After you've strained off the pulp wash it with 2 pints of boiling water this gives you another lot of squash only slightly weaker so just dilute it less

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

i made some flapjacks last night to use up some oats that were too chewy for porridge didnt have golden syrup so i used honey instead but they taste just as yummy!! :thumbright:
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

very lazy on the cooking front today - baked potatoes and salad was the extent of it - but I really fancy liskeard jane's savoury pancakes for tomorrow, what a great idea to use up bits and pieces.

bonniethomas06

Can't wait for chicken pie tonight - all made from leftovers from the weekend's roast. I quite like how monday night is leftover night.

So will be sauteeing onions and butter, adding thinly chopped leeks, perhaps some tiny cubes of potato as a thickener and some chopped sage from the bush in the garden.

Then the leftover chicken bits, stock made from the carcass in the slow cooker overnight, and some hard boiled eggs. Maybe some cream and a puff pastry top.

Ok, have bought some ready made puff pastry. Don't think I will ever master it!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com