Anyone else jam making at the moment?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Anyone else jam making at the moment?

Just finished 6 jars of strawberry and gooseberry jam. Goosegogs where from the garden. Earlier in the week I made a whole load of forgaged plum sauce, it was meant to be jam but it didn't set :lol:

Whats everyone else making?
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

Re: Anyone else jam making at the moment?

Not right now, although we've already done strawberry (me) and cherry ('im indoors - his first attempt :iconbiggrin: ).

I counted how many opened different kinds of jam we have in the fridge and it is 9 yes NINE :shock: with 3 more unopened different jams in the cupboard.

So we are currently eating:
strawberry
greengage
cherry
redcurrant with a bit of blackcurrant jelly
bramble jelly
elderberry/redcurrant/apple jelly
mirabelle plum
melon and orange (these 2 courtesy of oldfella's OH, very nice)
dandelion (from neighbour, not very nice)

and yet to try:

apple jelly
fig (both from a neighbour)
marmalade (courtesy of oldfella's OH)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyway I'm sending the inlaws home with loads of jam and expect to be making loads more bramble jelly and probably something involving frozen red or blackcurrants later on. I love it but we don't eat much of it.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm picking blackberries/brambles every day now and freezing them. Must have a couple of kg of berries so far. When the apples are ready, I'll be making blackberry and apple jelly.

Cooked and pickled a couple of jars of beetroot today as well. Seem to have permanently pink fingers at the moment!

Millymollymandy

Gosh they aren't ripe here yet! Well I'd better go and have a closer look but we've driven past and I can't see anything black. I have to climb down the ditch and up the other side in amongst 6 foot high nettles to reach mine, armed with alpine walking stick and nylon jacket which the thorns don't stick to and stand on a bank at a ridiculous angle. It's a tough job but one I enjoy, must be the intrepid explorer in me! :lol:

Keaniebean

I'm in the middle of making blackberry jam, apple and blackberry jelly all foraged from the local wilderness of a football pitch. I'm also making marrow and ginger jam with a couple of oversize marrows from my mums house.

All this jam will be good for the soul during the winter months, but I'm not so sure about the waistline. :shock: :lol:

The ginger and marrow jam recipie is here if anyone wants to use some of their excess.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7565 ... ginger-jam
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Milims

I happened to be in a certain supermarket with my Mum yesterday, and they were reducing all the raspberries to 2p a pack - couldn't resist it! So for 48 pence worth of raspberries I now have 16lb raspberry jam!
Tomorrow I'm off to investigate a near by greengage tree :mrgreen:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Evelyn J
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

So far i have made blackberry, raspberry and tayberry jam, pickalilly pickled beets, cherrys in syrup, pickled onions and shalots and my triumph (well i think so) marrow chutny, still so much to do, and ive just been offerd the whole harvest of two apple trees! what the heck am i going to do with almost 1/4 ton of cooking apples??

I also have pink fingers and my fingernails look like i have not cleaned them in months but the blackberry jam is soooo worth it :iconbiggrin:

Eve

Millymollymandy

Milims wrote:I happened to be in a certain supermarket with my Mum yesterday, and they were reducing all the raspberries to 2p a pack - couldn't resist it! So for 48 pence worth of raspberries I now have 16lb raspberry jam!
Tomorrow I'm off to investigate a near by greengage tree :mrgreen:
Aha you didn't explain that very well on facebook so I wondering about that - 2p, that's just ridiculous isn't it!!!!!!! My greengages are nowhwere near ripe yet (late August for plums here) so you may have to wait a bit. But I have spotted some ripe blackberries yet there are tons still only flowering!

organicsi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Getting ready to make a ton of Damson Jam as I have about 15 trees and it is a very good year there will even be plenty for the wasps and hornets!
Last year also made a fab damson, pear and walnut chutney as I had loads of all the above but no pears this year for some reason so will dry the damsons instead and use in Christmas cakes instead.

ADG
Living the good life
Living the good life

we are always making it, go to farm foods folks, sugar 56p/kg

Big Al

thesunflowergal wrote:Just finished 6 jars of strawberry and gooseberry jam. Goosegogs where from the garden. Earlier in the week I made a whole load of forgaged plum sauce, it was meant to be jam but it didn't set :lol:

Whats everyone else making?

12 pound jars of blackberry jam, full sugar, butter and it looks great.... still waiting for the chilli jam to cool down thought...
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i haven't made jam before, but i have been picking the blackberries with my son and freezing them to make jam later in the year.
i will also be making chutney too. my intension is to make jam, chutney and flavoured oils for christmas presents for the adults in the family.
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just back from holiday and I've picked every blackberry in sight! Also picked loads of little red apples which are just a bit too tart to eat raw. :mrgreen:

Started yesterday, strained the cooked fruits overnight and today I've made 8 large jars of blackberry and apple jelly.

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My blackberry jam is going down far too quickly, made the mistake of taking a jar to work for use at tea breaks.

I work with a load of 'Why don't you just buy it?' :scratch: and 'you can't make that' types... :banghead:

Now when I bring my free'ish homemade jam in, I get 'Ooh can I try a bit?' or 'Can I have some more?' and today I got a 'Wow that's really nice, if you make any different ones, can I try them?' :?
Sitting on the fence isn't without it's risks

Millymollymandy

I don't know why our blackberries are so behind, I guess it is because of the drought since spring - my raspberries are also tiny and not juicy when they are too dry. Hopefully last Saturday's rain might perk them up a bit and they might start to ripen quicker. :( I shouldn't have given my last 2 jars of bramble jelly away! :banghead: