Anyone else jam making at the moment?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Anyone else jam making at the moment?

Decided to make damson jam for the first time but the stones never rose to the surface like I've read about. My recipe just said stew with the water until pulpy, remove stones then add the sugar. Didn't say how!!! I spent half an hour picking the bloody things out. :roll:

During this time I realised I had not halved the amount of water like I should have done for the amount of plums so I sieved them, boiled the liquid to reduce it by half. :roll:

Then as I was boiling the jam I turned off the oven where I was sterilising my jars and lids and found this had happened:
Plastic biscuits.jpg
Plastic biscuits.jpg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 3222 times
Hee hee! I was running out of jam jars and found this unopened box of jam jars with plastic lids bought years ago and it never occured to me that they would MELT at 120C which is how I always sterilise the jars and lids. My husband thinks I'm an idiot. :mrgreen:

Anyway jam tastes nice and no problems reaching setting point, obviously lots of pectin in damsons. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

This is my first year (and month) at jam making and I have made Blackberry jam that set like rubber. :oops: Microwaved for 30 seconds and it tastes great. I have never eaten homemade jam before and I was definitely converted! I have since made a batch of blackberry and rowanberry jam. Desperately looking out for plums in my area for my next batch.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Up to my armpits in damsons, made damson jelly - i added lots of sugar as they're bitter, damson chutney and damson jam, which is good with game or poultry or even roast lamb. I've made jars and jars of blackberry and crab apple jelly; which is best on bread and butter

dragonoak
Tom Good
Tom Good

It all sounds scrummy! Having a foraging day twomorrow, lets hope i get enough to try hedgerow jam :)

Milims

I tried apple jam today - it seems to have gone ok - I'll let you know!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

i have just made caramel apple jam. set a little too much but just spreadable

Millymollymandy

Finished my jam making for the year thank goodness as I've had to go out and buy jam jars - at 60c per lid or €1.10 for a jar plus lid that's a silly price to pay (Le Parfait and actually the cheapest available!!). I think it might be cheaper to buy Lidl jam and chuck it just to get the jam jar! :shock: (but I never look at the price of jam cos I don't need to buy it! :lol: )
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

we recently realised that one of the bushes in our garden is an elderberry, so we shall be using that to make stuff too!
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

samhall_ogden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I made Pink Plum jam today 10 jars and started making Pontack sauce with my elderberries which I've not made before so fingers crossed.

Big Al

12 assorted jars of plum jam today. 5kg in all and still 3 kg of plums to process and two trees to collect from...
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger