Real old style lemonade

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

Real old style lemonade

I am in the middle of making this - one of Delias :mrgreen:

You need 6 large lemons and 150g sugar. It makes about 3 pints.

First scrub the lemons in warm water, then thinly pare the coloured outer zest from 3 of them using a potato peeler or zester. After that any white pith will need to be pared from the strips of zest with a sharp knife – this is important to prevent the lemonade tasting bitter. Now put the zest in a large bowl and add the squeezed juice of all the lemons (don't bother to strain the juice at this stage) and the sugar.

Next pour in 2½ pints (1.4 litres) of boiling water, then stir well, cover and leave overnight in a cool place. Next day stir again and taste to check the sweetness, adding a little more sugar if it needs it. Now strain through a fairly coarse sieve, as it's nice if some of the lemon remains. Pour it into bottles, using sterilised corks, then chill thoroughly.

Serve the lemonade either straight or diluted with soda water, with lots of ice.

Note: To make lemon barley water, proceed as above but in addition take 4 oz (110 g) of pearl barley and rinse thoroughly under a cold tap. Place it in a saucepan and cover with 2 inches (5 cm) of cold water. Then bring it to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes. After that drain it through a sieve and then rinse and drain it again before combining it with the lemon juice, zest, sugar and boiling water. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours. Then strain and bottle as above.

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

I love this type of lemonade. We made some a couple of days ago. Never lasts long in my house! It's delicious. 8)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Shirley

slurp!! That sounds scrummy.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Martin

smashing recipe - but for heavens sake, only use the zest from organic lemons - "ordinary" lemon skins are sprayed with some really deadly chemicals! :pale:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think thats the same with all citrus fruit isn't it? The levels of insecticides and pesticides are deemed 'safe' (ha ha ha frikkin HA!) based only upon samples taken from the juice/flesh NOT the rind.

Martin

I seem to remember it's something like thiabendazole - used to make it "keep" in transit - not for consumption! :pale:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Millymollymandy

So what is it supposed to do to you? I've been using citrus zest all my life and I'm still here!