What are you preserving?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What are you preserving?

So far I have made:
apple and mint jelly (for lamb and other meat)
beetroot, cabbage and horseradish relish (why did I grow so much summer cabbage? Why?)
Delia's spicy runner bean chutney
Raspberry Jam

I have been freezing like a demon, so far I have got carrots, runners, grated courgettes, loads of passata (prefer to freeze than bottle) and broc all in the freezer, plus some stewed apple for pies/crumbles and stewed plums for the same. Mmmmm.

Next on the list - rosehip and apple jelly, lovely on toast.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

Have just made blackcurrant and apple jelly, and interestingly got 0.6 litres more juice out this year than last! So now I have 15 jars of the darned stuff, and took forever to get to setting point as I couldn't boil it hard enough as there was too much liquid in my huge pan and it would have boiled over!

Today I've had enough of preserving (it's the washing up of huge bowls and saucepans that does me in!) so I am spending it in the garden in the sun. :sunny:

Then will be doing a tomato and apple and 'things' chutney at the weekend.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w263 ... CF0589.jpg

Runner Bean Chutney!! Delicious straight after it was cooked, but we're keeping it for a couple of months before we eat the lot!!
What great colours in it too....

Christine
Living the good life
Living the good life

I found Pat's recipe for concentrated tomato puree by searching her old posts and made all the ripe toms up using it, then bottled the puree. It's really flavourful and aromatic - I think it's the shot of balsamic that brings out the flavour. Absolutely wonderful. Thank you :thumbright:

Just stripping hawthorn for jelly and need to find the recipe again. Bless my lovely neighbours, they found a crabapple tree and brought a full carrier bag round for me.

Borrowed an icecream maker - one of those you put the bowl in the freezer - and made most of the blackcurrants and a bunch of mint into sorbet. That was definitely worthwhile - a nice change from jam.

Millymollymandy

Balsamic! That's what I forgot last time I roasted toms, garlic and onions for dinner then pureed up the rest a la Pat for pasta sauce. Duh! Well it was still delicious.

Doing same tonight so will remember to put some balsamic in. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

patR
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Ladies...
Ive been doing the same kind of thing with our glut of aubergines and green peppers, use equal quantities of tomatoes, to a chopped mix of peppers and aubergines, add the onions garlic and balsamico, and roast as normal... blitz with a hand blender and season to taste, I often add a pinch or two of good brown sugar... its really yummy.... :flower:
http://www.crazyfeetfootwear.com
for something just a little bit different

boboff

Steam Juicer arrived today!

One hour in and juice is forming!! Woop Woop!.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just made an enormous batch of apple chutney, pasteurised some apple juice and made a gainsborough tart ANNNDDD appear to have finally conquered my demon........pastry :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:. God bless you Mrs Mott :lol:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

just poached my quince for freezing
and all the trimming now boiling for quince jelly
Darn that Wabbit

thesunflowergal

I'm going to be busy this week, I have 15kg of cooking apples and some quince and medlars to play with. Thanks Thomzo :hugish:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

hedgerow sloes in gin
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

snapdragon wrote:hedgerow sloes in gin
I have no sloes this year :(
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Four jars of quince butter this morning, lovely, and a tray of membrillo (quince jelly) which I've got to leave to cure for a couple of days before I can try it. I picked some fennel and cumin seeds and juiced some apples - half of which is now in the freezer.

Oh, and I pruned the buddlea, the leaves are composting down and the stems are drying for the fire.

Zoe

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

will be doing sloes
haws
rose hips
and more black berries
but what to do with them
Darn that Wabbit

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thomzo wrote:Four jars of quince butter this morning, lovely, and a tray of membrillo (quince jelly) which I've got to leave to cure for a couple of days before I can try it. I picked some fennel and cumin seeds and juiced some apples - half of which is now in the freezer.

Oh, and I pruned the buddlea, the leaves are composting down and the stems are drying for the fire.

Zoe
Buddliea stems?? do they burn well then? Always looking for stuff to burn on the fire (please don't think I'm a pyromaniac :lol: )