Homemade yogurt...and kefir

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Homemade yogurt...and kefir

Has anyone ever had any success with soya milk?

I don't mind using cows milk yoghurt to start it off with, but prefer not to use cows milk for the bulk of the yog.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

according to the book i mentioned earlier you can get live-culture soy in health food shops. He uses the same method as for dairy milk but uses soy milk and soy starter instead. \he says it's super tasty too.

colours
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm glad you asked the question about soya milk BonnieThomas06 because I'm not allowed to eat any dairy at all (a little in the starter wouldn't hurt - especially if it gets diluted out with each successive brewing). I've just bought an easy yo for my husband who loves yoghurt. I haven't been able to reach the consistency of the thick greek stuff he buys from the fruit shop using the easy yo powdered stuff, so I'll buy a greek yoghurt from the shops today and use it as a starter. If I achieve this I'll give it a whirl with some soy milk. The only soy yoghurt you can buy here tastes like gnats piss and is available in an astonishing 2 flavours, both of which are fruit flavoured and not the best for using in cooking, for making bread etc.

I'm so excited at the thought of eating yoghurt again! I've had 3 years of experience with trialling different brands of soy milk too, I'm pretty confident I'll find one that works for yoghurt. Will report my results.
Why does life get faster, the older you get?

colours
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

BREAKTHROUGH!!!

I did as I said and bought the thick greek stuff. I used a heaped teaspoon in one litre of vanilla flavoured soy milk. I left it in the easyyo for about 9 hours. It thickened a little and turned to yogurt. I then did a bit of net searching and discovered to get it really thick you can let it strain through either muslin cloth, a tea towel or even paper towel. I used a paper towel and the result was a beautiful thick creamy vanilla yogurt which was comparible in taste to cow's milk yogurt.

I'm so excited to be able to eat yogurt again! And I'm not stopping at that. I'm going to see if I can make a soft soy cheese, cheese cake. ?Almond-milk yogurt etc. wow.

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello, I read the first part of this thread a couple of weeks ago since which I've made thicker and creamier yoghurt than I ever thought possible to be made by little old me.

Just wanted to say THANKYOU to everyone as I'd just accepted that homemade yoghurt was a bit runny until now.

Will be turning into a yoghurt soon if I'm not careful though ... have eaten 3 litres in the last two weeks! Which means I've run out of sunflower seeds as they're my favourite thing to have with yoghurt :sunny:

THANKYOU yum THANKYOU yum yum THANKYOU yum yum yummm

colours
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've been so obsessed with it that I've taken to eating it luke-warm (can't wait for it to chill)!

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

:lol: me too!

Have gone through the last litre in three days. So excited to try soya yoghurt next.

Woo- hoooooooo :headbang:

I love it here, no-one at work is the slightest bit interested. They think I'm loopy!

Hurrah for yoghurt :cheers:

colours
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

same but that never stops me from prattling on about it! The husband just humours me. The rest think I'm a bit weird. But that's ok cause I have the yogurt!

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello :wave: Still going yoghurt crazy here :lol:

I finally got round to doing some with soya milk and it was just as thick as the cowsmilk I did at the same time
colours wrote:I left it in the easyyo for about 9 hours. It thickened a little and turned to yogurt.
I boiled the soya milk for about a minute then left it in the easyyo from about 3 in the afternoon to eight the next morning. It really is very thick and creamy. I can't decide if I like it yet. I've never had soya yoghurt before, I usually just make soya chocolate pudding as I didn't know how to make yog with soya til now ... oh and because I adore soya choc pudding :lol:

x

colours
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I tried it with chocolate soy milk and it was pretty rank. But vanilla works well. I have used plain and after it is fermented and chilled, stick a spoon of honey in it, don't completely mix it in, just leave it swirled so you get that sweet-sour taste. I think thes best thing is to find a variety of soy milk that doesn't taste too beany first, then you're laughing. Any chance of a chocolate pudding whatsit recipe? Haven't tried almond milk yogurt yet as my blender curled its toes, presumably with over use. Will get another on the weekend and try it again. Where are you JillStephens? Just wondering which brands you have tried, or do you make your own soy milk?

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hmm. I just tried plain unsweetened as that's all I buy normally, I'm in England and usually get Alpro, never tried making my own as it's only me using it and it looks like a lot of faff for small quantities :dontknow:
It does taste quite beany. Not exactly unpleasant but just not what I'm expecting in a yoghurt :shock: I can see sweetened/ vanilla would be less strange, I didn't think of that.

Soya choc pudding is my favourite comfort food I mean a gloopy goo, not a sponge type pudding.

I tend to make it in a big mug in the microwave now but you need to keep an eye on it and leave some head room as it can bubble over quite spectacularly. It's basically like making custard from powder: Make a paste of cornflour, cocoa and sugar with a little cold soya milk then heat some more soya milk in a pan or microwave, blend the two then cook til thick (about a minute or two in the microwave if it's quite hot already). I started off just using the instructions on a box of custard powder but using soya milk and adding cocoa powder.

I probably do about a level desert spoon full each of cocoa, corn flour and up to two of brown sugar for a big mug of soya milk. I've also tried just bunging it all in a bowl with the cold soya and sticking it in the microwave which also works fine but is more prone to erruptions and needs taking out to stir a few times.

Sorry this is such a ramble, I don't always explain things too well and don't do this in a very measured way but it always tastes scrummy :iconbiggrin: