Our jam is Melancholy!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
MidnightFarm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Our jam is Melancholy!

We have been experimenting a lot with our jam making this year. I saw half a honeydew melon in the fridge, and inspiration hit me like, erm, well the other half of the melon.....

..You know when you taste something and you're not quite sure what to make of it? Well this was one of those times, it must have taken about 7 or 8 tries to figure out what the overpowering taste was. Instead of lovely subtle flavours of melon, we were indeed tasting what could only be described as cauliflower. Hmm, not one of our finest moments I can assure you! (our favourites so far being apple and wallnut, or pear and vanilla.) Now we are left with several jars of dodgy jam which we don't know what to do with, but then again christmas is coming soon ;)

We'd like to know if anyone else has had similar incidents in the kitchen? Please share so we can avoid it too!

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Our jam is Melancholy!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :pukeright:
We experimented with fruit vodkas - raspberry and strawberry were were great but he kiwi fruit smelled like vomit!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

boboff

Coq au Vin.... 3 cockerals from home, a really posh recipe with loads of expensive ingredients, Dad and Step Mum round..... horrible! Tough, tasted nasty, nor enjoyable in the slightest.

In terms of Taint, which I assume your situation was, it's always a difficult one. Personally I would use the jam up in chutney or curry.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

The Riff-Raff Element

Milims wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :pukeright:
We experimented with fruit vodkas - raspberry and strawberry were were great but he kiwi fruit smelled like vomit!
In the same vein, never, ever, be tempted to try garlic vodka :pukeright:

contadina

The next time you have a neglected melon in the fridge blitz it and freeze it as it makes the most delicious granita.