Gluts...

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Arbor
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Gluts...

My husband sharpened a neighbour's knives and she very kindly arrived at my door with three huge tubs of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. My neighbour has a fabulous allotment and was clearing out last years summer fruits from her three chest freezers in preparation for this years crop. 'Would I be able to make use of them?' She asked. Free food-absolutely yes! :cheers:

Unfortunately they were already defrosted so this morning has seen my kitchen all of a whirl. I have made a raspberry sorbet (I am hoping it is okay to refreeze something that was previously frozen?). I have made some Blackberry jam, a couple of crumbles, a huge summer pudding, A Blackberry batter pudding (disaster) and some very decadent Rasberry and Chocolate Refrigerator cake.

Luckily it is Father's Day tomorrow and my large family of gannets are around for Sunday Lunch. I am hoping that it all tastes as nice as it looks!

I have never been in the position of having a glut of fruit and I have been really pleased with all the things that I have made but what do other people like to do with their gluts (what a strange word!) of garden produce and do you ever get to the point where you wish that you'll never see another raspberry, potato, cabbage etc?

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Gluts...

If you have a bunch more you could can some as syrup for pancakes or waffles. Also raspberry or blackberry vinegar is wonderful for salad dressing! What a wonderful problem to have!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Summer pudding,just use any surplus berries,delicious.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mustardseedmama wrote:If you have a bunch more you could can some as syrup
Syrup has to be the uktimate soft fruit glut buster.. used as a syrup, or as a cordial, or as a base for further recipes (ice cream, sorbets, cake/meringue filling, creamy fool-type desserts).
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm headed for a glut of tomatoes this year. I'm loathe to get rid of any of the plants as everything else is being beaten by weather or slugs.

It's not a huge problem though. Going to make a load of ketchup and sauces. Definitely a load of green tomato chutney as everyone I gifted jars to moaned about it running out.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

SusieGee wrote:I made blackcurrant cordial last year as I was given a load of blackcurrants by a friend. It was gorgeous and I preserved it for longer by adding a dash of brandy :oops: it was fab in white wine. I also have a lovely Hugh Fernley Whatsisname recipe for glutney - basically a chutney using whatever you have a glut of in the garden. Doesn't look as if we are going to have a glut of anything this year with our fickle weather. :(
I'm very sorry to hear that---we know what a disappointment it is to work so hard and then get not a lot of return. :(
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

The Riff-Raff Element

chickenchargrill wrote:I'm headed for a glut of tomatoes this year. I'm loathe to get rid of any of the plants as everything else is being beaten by weather or slugs.

It's not a huge problem though. Going to make a load of ketchup and sauces. Definitely a load of green tomato chutney as everyone I gifted jars to moaned about it running out.
Honey, there ain't no such thing as a glut of tomatoes, there are NEVER enough :mrgreen:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SusieGee wrote:Doesn't look as if we are going to have a glut of anything this year with our fickle weather.
Is that the best adjective you can come up with Susie ? :lol:

I agree about the tomatoes Jon, about THE most useful of fruit at chez odsox and there's never enough.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

had a glut of both tomastoes and chillies last year
still got tomatoes pickles ans hutneys
just finished off the last of the tomatoe sauce frozen sauce and the last of the ketch up

chillis i got them preserved in oil dried out and made tabsco sauce from them as well as add to other gluts in tother chuneys and pickles
and i still planted more this year
will have to rember not to plant them next year
there is only so much chilli you can give away

thats the best thing to do with gluts made them into something and give them away for christmas
Darn that Wabbit