Peaches

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Peaches

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi all! I need some ideas. I have put up roughly two bushels of peaches now. I have quarts of home jarred peaches, I have quart bags of frozen peaches, pints of jam and "Sun Relish" (like a Peach-Hot Pepper jam with vinegar), and made a Rustic Peach Tart with Brown Sugar Streusal topping for dessert tonight. I am dehydrating about a peck of peach halves at the moment. What could I make with the last two pecks or so still out on the trees?
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Peaches

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 am

We made fruit leather with our peaches last year, lasts for ever if you can stop eating it.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:05 am

No suggestions - although I made a lovely Baltimore peach cake (recipe c/o Google!) with some from a neighbour and peach chutney is delicious.

I'm just slightly envious at a glut of peaches - sounds like heaven. :mrgreen:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Wish I had a glut of peaches. I would probably make a bit of peach alcohol, same way as you would make sloe gin, I do a mean blackcurrant vodka, have also done plum and sloe vodka, this makes me sound a bit of a boozer, but I do give small bottles away to friends and a wee drop in the dark winter evenings warms you up

oldjerry

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Home jarred peaches?....Bushels?........Pecks?.........are you married?........

Old bloke picks up fishing tackle,and wanders off again.....

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:40 pm

oldjerry wrote:Home jarred peaches?....Bushels?........Pecks?.........are you married?........

Old bloke picks up fishing tackle,and wanders off again.....
Well,...yes I am, (blushing)...but I'll keep it in mind should the situation change :wink:
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?

Milims

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am

Nothing to offer except to tell you that I'm envious of all those peaches!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Ellendra

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 pm

You could make pie filling and jar it. Or, pack peach slices in sugar overnight, then remove from the sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon and ground clove, then dehydrate as sort of a peach candy. (I do that with all sorts of fruits for Christmas gifts every year.) There's peach muffins, peach cobbler, peach syrup, peach ice cream, peach yogurt. Dice one and toss it into a stew, but not too many or it'll overpower it. Slice thin and cover a roast with it, the peach will cook into sort of a glaze, and it keeps the meat moist. Hmm, I'll have to try and think of more . . .

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 am

Mmmmm...Well I never have been one to eat meat cooked with fruit, and right now I'm not eating meat at all for some mysterious reason, (???), but the pie filling idea crossed my mind too. I have also found a nice chutney recipe that I might try. We've done the peach ice cream just recently, and it was lovely!!

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Poochy Pie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:51 am

Hi

I was going to suggest a peach gin/vodka as mentioned on a previous suggestion - but i love the sound of your 'sun relish' - any chance of the recipe please!!!!!!

Poochy Pie

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:59 am

Most certainly!

Sun Relish---from The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving (Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard)

6 peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
6 sweet yellow peppers, seeded and chopped
1 hot yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
1 lemon, halved
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. pickling salt

Pleace peaches, peppers, lemon, and vinegar in a large stainless steel or non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered for 30 minutes or until softened. Remove and discard lemon, add sugar, and salt, return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.

I then can it in pints, although half-pints would probably be more convenient. I have doubled and even tripled the recipe, with no ill effects. I also don't necessarily stick to the exact ingredients, as I have lots of red and orange peppers, but no yellows, and I like my relish a little hotter, so I add at least two hot peppers. I have also made it using red wine vinegar and cider vinegar, instead of white wine vinegar---but I don't recommend using cider vinegar, as it alters the flavor too much to suit me.

Enjoy!

Poochy Pie

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you so much - sounds delicious, cannot wait to make some!!!!

Poochy :cheers:

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:36 pm

What about a Rumtopf?

http://www.germandeli.com/index.html

Great with ice cream or on it's own...........

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Sounds lovely MSM.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

grahamhobbs

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Mustardseedmama with all those peaches perhaps you would like to give some away???
Between 4.00pm and 7.00pm yesterday, the squirrels eat the approx. 100 peaches that were on our tree, only about golf ball size, rock hard, but had started to ripen. They left us one to taste!!
Two years ago we thought they did the same, all disappearing whilst we were away for a week, but last year none were touched, so I started to think perhaps it had been the weather. No, this year it was obviously the squirrels, having finished our broad beans they thought they would move on to something else on the menu. The frost this year put an end to the cherries, so they will next attack the raspberries - hopefully we will manage to keep some sweetcorn and fortunately they don't touch the blackberries.
Any advice on keeping the blighters out, no amount of netting works, will be much appreciated.