Just made the worst cake ever!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Just made the worst cake ever!

My daughter has been nagging me to make another cake and i caved in this morning. However, i didn't have any butter or marg so i used oil instead. Big mistake. Its fowl. Tastes like a chip pan. So just to warn people not to do it :lol:

They make cakes here with oil instead of butter. But i just used my sponge recipe and replaced the butter with the same oil. I think it might have been too much oil or somthing, just overpowered it. :pukeright:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Just made the worst cake ever!

Only ever butter for baking :iconbiggrin:

Margerine always gives a sponge a greasy mouthfeel to me, so I can imagine what oil might be like.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Sounds lovely but i cant get dermerara or brown sugar, glace cherries or spice mix here :(

There is a very limited variety of foods here which is really unfrtunate. I get my mum to post me over stuff though so i can ask her to send me some ingridients in the next package. If i can get all the stuff ill give it a go, otherwise i could improvise, although thats doesn't always turn out well.......like the last one :roll:

Im definetly getting more into baking now though. Especially since i bought my gorgous new digital scales :mrgreen: Its easier to measure things with scales, which i think was why my cakes and pastry were always a bit hit and miss before :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is a recipe from the old Cranks recipe book, very moist and used corn oil, again you can fiddle about with any ingredients you may not have

you will need
150g / 6oz carrots
2 eggs, size 3
100g / 4oz raw brown sugar
5 tbsp sunflower oil
100g / 4oz wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
50g / 2oz desiccated coconut
50g / 2 oz raisins

how to make

Serves 8
1.Grease and line the base of a 18 cm / 7 in square cake tin.
2.Preheat the oven to 190 deg C / 375 deg F / gas 5.
3.Finely grate the carrots. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy. Whisk in the oil slowly, then add the remaining ingredients and mix together to combine evenly.
4.Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
5.Level the surface and bake in he preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden brown.
6.Cool on a wire tray.

We have all made the odd horrible cake, I made a steak and kidney pudding the other night and I must have had a senior moment and put in a lot of baking soda, I dont remember doing it, it was so horrible, but at least the meat and gravy were ok so we just ate those.