Parsley and Rosemary Juice

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Parsley and Rosemary Juice

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YTCRM 27 October 2012 Parsley and Rosemary Juice.
The parsley and rosemary was made into six litres of juice.Process is depicted by the annotated pictures.The choice as to let the plants go to waste or utilize, and both plants were in pristine condition.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Parsley and Rosemary Juice

Yes, I have a "use them or lose them" problem with some herbs (funnily enough, not parsley or rosemary, which stand through the worst weather).

For herbs which won't survive the winter, I pick them and dry them. They're quite easy to use after that.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

oldjerry

Or indeed,freeze them in ice cube trays.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Do not both parsley and rosemary fall into the "do not consume in excessive amounts" category? Culinary use is quite small, but as a juice how much are you consuming when you can into such large bottles? Certainly one for the women of the household to avoid.

Rosemary is exceptionally hardy, and I'll be picking it fresh (or frozen) all through the winter.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Durgan

Certainly only a small quantity of the herbs are used. As juice they are mixed with other juices in the drinking glass which will limit consumption. It is trial and error, experimentation if you like. I use a bit of parsley but almost never rosemary in cooking, so decided on the juicing method. I also have thyme, which has never been used.
Last edited by Durgan on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

may i recommend you try the following....pound a rosemary sprig with coarse salt to release oils and use this to season spuds roast in the oven with olive oil. rosemary and pototes are best mates. also good with roast chicken.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with George, drying is by far the best method of preserving the herbs, Rosemary can be killed by excessive cold, but cutting a few sprigs to dry for winter use is fine, quite what you would use Rosemary jus in cooking I can't imagine, put it in the bath it is supposed to help with your mood and is also an excellent disinfectant, it has been shown to kill lots of bacteria when used around the house, I disinfect my wooden chopping board with it (I hate the plastic ones) Parsley dries well and as for Thyme, I am never without fresh or dried in my cooking. Saffronsue, Rosemary is lovely with roast potatoes and of course with lamb.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Spiking a lamb joint with rosemary and garlic is delicious.

And next time you have roast chicken, you must try Scarborough Chicken (no prizes for guessing the four herbs used..).
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..