out of date beans

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: North Cambs

out of date beans

Post: #269884 JoseyJo
Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:36 pm

I have found a packet of dried beans lurking in my cupboard which are 14 months out of date! Hate to waste them but maybe that is too far out of date... would you eat them?

User avatar
kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Barry, Near Carnoustie

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269886 kit-e-kate
Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Its a 'Yep!' from me too. :icon_smile: That is, assuming that they still look ok?

User avatar
gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269888 gregorach
Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 pm

There's a "use by" date on dried beans? Heck, I'd probably give them a shot even if you'd found them in the tomb of Tutankhamun...
Cheers

Dunc

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269889 Ellendra
Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:16 pm

A friend of mine was friends with an archeologist working on a dig in New Mexico. One of the artifacts found there was a large sealed clay pot, with dried beans inside, roughly 1500 years old. As a test, they took a few beans and tried to grow them, and took a few more (not many) and cooked them up. They took longer to cook than most dried beans, but they eventually softened, and tasted good enough that when some of the ones they planted grew, my friend saved seed, and now grows them in her garden every year.

14 months is nothing to a dried bean.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Spain

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269896 niknik
Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:24 pm

I basically ignore all those dates!! sniff and taste test...

User avatar
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: South Vendée, France
Contact:

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269898 The Riff-Raff Element
Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Just give them an extra 12 hour of soaking - they'll be fine.

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269900 cideristhefuture
Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Ellendra wrote:A friend of mine was friends with an archeologist working on a dig in New Mexico. One of the artifacts found there was a large sealed clay pot, with dried beans inside, roughly 1500 years old. As a test, they took a few beans and tried to grow them, and took a few more (not many) and cooked them up. They took longer to cook than most dried beans, but they eventually softened, and tasted good enough that when some of the ones they planted grew, my friend saved seed, and now grows them in her garden every year.

14 months is nothing to a dried bean.


Also aware if this, seeds found tombs sprouting.

Dont think a few seeds/ beans will kill anyone... ate a packet of dried noodles 15 months out of date few weeks ago, no diff to 'in' date ones.

User avatar
Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 pm
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269902 Annemieke
Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I once found a packet at my brother's five years out of date. Lovely.
That apostrophe is right isn't it, by the way?
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: North Cambs

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269906 JoseyJo
Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Great - Thanks all!

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Spain

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269907 niknik
Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Annemieke wrote:I once found a packet at my brother's five years out of date. Lovely.
That apostrophe is right isn't it, by the way?



yes it is-...................

which reminds me that someone and I really cant remember who, said, somewhat tongue in cheek , that there should be a tax on incorrect apostrophes, and bad spelling!, especially in "public" signs, . such as potatoe´s.... ??p

User avatar
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: South Vendée, France
Contact:

Re: out of date beans

Post: #269912 The Riff-Raff Element
Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:49 am

niknik wrote:
Annemieke wrote:I once found a packet at my brother's five years out of date. Lovely.
That apostrophe is right isn't it, by the way?



yes it is-...................

which reminds me that someone and I really cant remember who, said, somewhat tongue in cheek , that there should be a tax on incorrect apostrophes, and bad spelling!, especially in "public" signs, . such as potatoe´s.... ??p


Now, years ago there was some story or other about a council replacing the sings for St John's Close somewhere with St Johns Close because it was "simpler" and some bloke went around correcting them.

In fact, here it is. It's in the the Dail Heil, so you might want to have a bucket ready:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1207301/Punctuation-hero-branded-vandal-inserting-apostrophes-street-signs.html

User avatar
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 3815
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:21 pm
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Re: out of date beans

Post: #271917 mrsflibble
Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:05 am

I went round correcting the handwritten signs in the community hall we use for a home ed craft group. I did some with sharpie, and some with tippex. I was applauded by a couple of other parents who'd wanted to do the same, but hadn't had the nerve lol.

the signs haven't been changed.... I marked them last May lol.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!


Return to “What's in the pot? Recipes and anything about Cooking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests