Making pasta

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: Making pasta

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm

I'v done some reading online and i also have instructions on how to make them in some of my self sufficient books. I think it is something we will definitely make in the future. We have plans to renovate/ build the other wee house at the orchard so we can live and work there in the summer and i was thinking to make an outside summer kitchen which would include a bread oven and BBQ. But that's just all plans just now for way in the future, we've already spent all our savings on our house so far so i don't know how we're going to finance the other wee farm house. It will probably get done very slowly, bit by bit, by my husband and his dad so we don't have to pay for builders. They were already doing most of the work on our house so they've had lots of practice. There's lots of rocks laying around up the lane further up from the orchard which my husband was going to go 'scavenging' for to build the walls with so we don't have to pay for bricks lol
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 am

I hope you do make one - it really makes a nice family focus point for the summer. To be honest, having a bread oven (as well as the grape vines) was one of the clinching points when I decided to buy the house. Would you make a dome-shaped one or is it possible to build them cubed as well?

oldjerry

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 am

We've got an outside oven in Italy,too hot to cook inside in the summer.Although it's been there for a good 30 yrs,you can buy the liners pre-formed in the local Builders Merchants and build your fancy looking structure around it.

becks77

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:48 pm

What with one thing and another I'm only just having a go at this, so far I have 300g of flour and 3 eggs a tiny bit of water, darn it forgot the salt, mixed it all up in the kenwood and its now resting for about 15 mins next step the pasta machine.........
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

becks77

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Ermmmmaaaaagaaahhhhd,(borrowed from Mrs F) that was delicious, I had to employ a child to hang the pasta over the clothes airer so it didnt stick to itself, but wow what a difference to shop bought and not time consuming ,eggs and flour to plate of tasty pasta probably took 45 mins.
Would recommend the method here it works and very well.
ps 3 eggs to 300g of flour (bread flour) fed 4 of us and a bit left over for a lunch tomorrow, nom nom nom :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 am

Sounds like a great success! You should try some ravioli next. Bit more time consuming, but they taste fantastic compared to the stodgy shop-bought ones you find.

becks77

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 am

Do I need one of those snazzy attachments for the pasta maker ? cant wait what ,veggie fillings would you recomend?

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:29 pm

Never used one of those attachments so don't know if they are any good. It's easy enough to make them by hand.

Just roll out the past into sheet as you would normally, lay it on the table, blob the filling with about 2-3cm between blobs (depending on the size you want) in a line towards one edge of the rectangular sheet of pasta, wet your finger with a little water and moisten the pasta where the edges will connect, fold the top of the pasta rectangle down over them, press down and around the filling trying to eliminate as much air as you can (cos the expanding air can puff them open when cooking), then finally cut between the blobs to make the individual ravioli (a pizza wheel works well for that). Alternatively, you can have two rows of filling blobs, lay another sheet of the rollled-out pasta on top, press together well eliminating the air, and then cut out the ravioli with a cooker cutter.

You can use your imagination with the fillings. I've done then with a mixture of ricotta, gently sauteed onion and mushroom, parsley and seasoning, and that came out nice. I've also done them with quail yolks and ricotta, which are impressive if you can cook them and keep the yolks runny. Fiddly though. I think basically you could use any thick veggie sauce you would normally put on or serve with pasta - maybe a kind of tofu/soya bolognese style stuffing, or veggie sausages broken up and cut with some spices and herbs.

What's also fun is to make sweet ones; you could try filling them with a walnut and honey mixture and serving them will a squeeze of lemon and a couple of gratings of lemon zest. Or another nice dessert ravioli is a mixture of pumpkin, crushed almond and dried finely grated orange peel.

becks77

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:16 pm

How long before the kids get sick of pasta? these are great tutorials thank you, rushes to cupboard for more pasta ingrediants :thumbright:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 am

I don't use a pasta machine, mine made me so angry I gave up on it lol.

the most popular home made pasta in this house is tortelloni with a bacon and cheese fillling.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Return to “What's in the pot? Recipes and anything about Cooking”