Ersatz

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Ersatz

I didn't see the wartime farm series but I'll see if I can watch it on line and I'll also check out that download if it is still available. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks George, I do understand the difference you are talking about and it is really the subsitutions we were looking at rather than actual adulteration. I get the impression that the term is used to cover all types of inferior foodstuffs in the same way as all vacuum cleaners are called hoovers. Funny thing is that bread was "adulterated" with all those things that make up wholemeal bread and white bread became less common.Likewise the bit about E920 is an odd one. Certainly China has been using human hair as a source and the vegan society has discussed the pros and cons as have the Israeli government. The latter have evidently decided that as long as it isn't derived from a dead persons hair then it is still kosher.Personally , putting aside all thoughts of solent green then I suppose it is the ultimate in recycling and probably no worse than making it from feathers.
It's funny but if this thread has done one thing it has made me do another search. I don't know why I didn't try it in the first place but searching for ministry of food has yielded a few recipies-
http://food.iwm.org.uk/?page_id=64
and
http://recipespastandpresent.org.uk/goodfare.php

Pete

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

f you can't still get the OU leaflet, PM me.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Green Aura I've managed to download the leaflet, I'll have to read it now :icon_smile:

Pete