jam sugar v granulated sugar

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Poochy Pie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

jam sugar v granulated sugar

Hi

I am going to attempt an elderflower jam and the recipe asks for jam sugar but i have loads of granulated sugar in the cupboard, will this work? The recipe i am using is just infused water, lemon juice and sugar. After a bit of looking around at other recipes people suggest that i would need to add some apple pulp? However i wanted to keep the jam clear - should i go and buy some jam sugar?

Poochy :icon_smile:

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: jam sugar v granulated sugar

Hi Poochy

All Jam Sugar is is Sugar with Pectin added to it, you can buy the sachets of Pectin on their own, then you can use your sugar.

If you want to make a clear jelly you will need clear apple juice, if you are not using allot a carton from the fridge isle would do the Job, I know Lidl's apple juice is pretty good.

With that recipe you will have to get pectin though I think. Although if you put lots of lemon peel in a bag when you boil it up that would help a bit.

Have fun!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Poochy Pie

Thanks Boboff

If i buy some pectin will it have instructions on it saying how much i would need to use, i have not used it before!!!!

Poochy

boboff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PECTIN-POWDER ... %26ps%3D54

Ummm, well you see, it is not that easy.

There are different types of pectins available for different types of product. You have the Brix and the Ph to look out for as well.

So you will get it wrong, I have been making Jams for 15 years, many of which in a business, and I still get it wrong. The good thing is, the Jam either sets hard, cook with it, or doesn't set, so you boil it up again and add more.

Maramalady in here is very good source of practical advice on this I think.

I have not used the stuff above, I got a big lot cheap from approved foods last year, but it should all do the same thing?

Sorry not to be of more help, but as I say, Jam Sugar, is just sugar with this added to it ( make sure you do mix it with the sugar first, as if you add it straight, it goes lumpy)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm not a jam expert and haven't made elderflower but tend to buy the jam sugar. I did try one year buying a bottle of pectin. It took me ages to find it and then I found by the time I'd bought that I'd saved little money by using normal sugar. I think the jam sugar's gone up quite a bit now though.

Results were similar but it's easier with jam sugar (for fruit jam anyway).

Poochy Pie

Thanks for the advice, i am tempted to purchsae some jam sugar as i am not that good at experimenting and needing to add pectin i can see me getting it all wrong!!! Am a newbie jam maker......

Poochy

boboff

If you are new, then I would leave this recipe, it's the sort of thing only your maiden Aunt could do well.

Start with Blackcurrant, Marmalade, and then try a mint jelly, when the apples are right.

The pectin is very easy to mix in.

I'll go and check my stock.

Tate & Lyle Pectin, 8gm sachet. 1kg Strawberies, 1kg Sugar, 1 Sachet Pectin, Lemon Juice from 1 Lemon.

Mix pectin with Sugar first.....

What I want to caution really, without diminishing any enthusiasm, is that if you try your jelly having bought the pectin sugar...it may still not set. The other thing the pectin sachets allow is for you to make it "stronger" without adding more sugar.

Still good luck! I am at the stage I don't make much anymore, as I have cupboards of the stuff!

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've never used jam sugar or added powdered pectin but I think that the elderflower jam would be a bit of a tricky one. I'd be inclined to use apple juice as a base and get the advantage of the pectin in that but it's up to you. With other low pectin fruit I simmer the fruit with lemon juice before adding the sugar and successfully made a couple of batches of strawberry jam today with normal granulated sugar and no extras apart from lemon juice. Redcurrants work well too but obviously you wouldn't want that in your elderflower jam as it would look funny ;)

Poochy Pie

Well against all odds i thought i would give it a go using granulated sugar and pectin, followed the recipe which stated that i should steep the elderflowers in cold water for 3 days in a covered pan - however by the end of day two it smelt really quite bad and am sure it started going slimy - maybe i will stick to easier jams..............! Had problems with elderflowers last year when i made cordial, one batch all went black. Should i try making the jam with dried elderflowers if i make an infusion?

Poochy

boboff

That really is up to you Poochy!

I stopped playing with Elderflowers after the second year when the champagne exploded and knocked a hole in the pantry wall!

I made Elderberry and Crab Apple Mint Jelly one year and that was wonderful, deep red and minty, lovely on Pate.

In related news I picked 10lb of raspberries and 20lb of blackcurrants yesterday! My back hurts!

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

I made an elderflower jelly (wibble wobble jelly, not a spread for toast) with cordial. If you wanted an elderflower jelly have you considered adding a cordial to your apple juice for the flavour? far easier than faffing with the flowers that can cause all kinds of havoc.

as to steeping the flowers it was recommended to me to thoroughly shake the flowers (to remove bugs) then cover in sugar to infuse over night Bit like when you make lavender of vanilla sugar or to draw the juice from strawberries. as well as do a shorter soaking with more fresh flowers in hot water for an hour(3 days is a bit much imo) My friend swears by this method and uses apple juice in his recipe. Ive taste the jelly and its fab.

Milims

I tried the ederflwer jam with just ordinary sugar and it made syrup :?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

boboff

Nice syrup MIlims?

Milims

Elderflower syrup, funnily enough! :lol: It works well as a cordial so far - may have to ty it in champagne one day!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

dave45

Add elderflower syrup to cider apple juice when fermenting - it makes a great-tasting blended cider.

Or add it to fizzy water or lemonade