Nasturtium pesto

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Nasturtium pesto

This is probably not new to a lot of folk, but it was a huge revelation to me. I never manage to grow sufficient basil (and dislike every commercial one I've tasted) so tend not to bother.

Anyway the nasturtiums are taking over the polytunnel, so last week I hauled up 3-4 plants and made pesto with walnuts and parmesan and same amount again this week with pine nuts and pecorino.

I can't give any specific quantities but essentially it was and I don't think it matters - just add until it tastes good.

1 salad spinner basket full to popping with nasturtium leaves flowers and the finer stems
1 bag of Lidl walnuts (of two small bag of pine nuts) - I toasted the pinenuts, didn't with the walnuts
A couple of cloves of garlic
A 2"ish cube of cheese, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic
A pinch of salt
A squeeze of lemon, just about a teaspoon
Lots of olive oil

We've had it with pasta, in soup, mixed with mayo as a salad dressing and squished into beef mince with a chopped onion to make burgers. Fabulous every which way!

And today, alongside ours I made our gal a small pot of vegan pesto, substituting nutritional yeast flakes for the cheese. I think she liked it - she was eating it off a spoon straight from the jar.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Nasturtium pesto

Sounds good, shame my parents wont let me grow nasturtiums any more, not after the 2 little plants (school and sunday school both having the same idea of growing them) took over half of our front garden :lol:

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

I made it a few time almost like it better than basil
almost made pesto from oregano works well to.
tend to be with cob nuts from my tree
Darn that Wabbit

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

THAT'S what I've forgotten!!! No nasturtiums this year, apart from strays.

I'm putting it down to the absent-mindedness induced by too much unpaid intellectual stress. And NO - that is not the same as dementia.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Most of my nasturtium leaves get eaten (or at least marked) by something or other, so I've never had the courage to try them myself...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

All my nasturtiums are strays, Mike. We just didn't have the heart to weed out the self sets, hence the rather colourful mix of plants in the polytunnel this year.
MKG wrote:absent-mindedness induced by too much unpaid intellectual stress
- I'm pinching that one! :lol:

Ina, some of ours get eaten but I just wash them and eat them.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

What a lovely Idea.

Cant you pickle the seeds as well and use as those funny green italian ball thingys too?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Err, d'you mean capers? Yes I have a faint recollection of a recipe for pickling them,but they aren't that similar to taste.

boboff

Capers! Thank you. Couldn't think of the word.

I made pesto with Wild Garlic....... usual trouble with me, made about 6lb, still have 5 & 1/2 lb in the cupboard 3 years on!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I was going to make wild garlic pesto, but wasn't sure how long it would keep. Do you pasteurize it or anything?

My nasturtiums are still a bit small for picking leaves, but it won't be long...
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Brilliant idea, mine are starting to take over. Thanks for the recipe :icon_smile:

boboff

Zech wrote:I was going to make wild garlic pesto, but wasn't sure how long it would keep. Do you pasteurize it or anything?

My nasturtiums are still a bit small for picking leaves, but it won't be long...

Colour still looks lovely, taste wise it was always...... Shit....... Sorry... I mean "earthy" " Grassy" so if you are a cow it does taste like, that first word......