Courgette time again

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Courgette time again

My courgette harvest has just about reached the stage where I'm bored of eating them simply, and looking for other ideas. I searched here (working search function! All hail the site geek!) and found this thread from a few years ago:
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... courgettes
We've just had the savoury courgette cake for dinner, and it really is good! Even the vegetable hating husband enjoyed it :cheers:

I haven't yet made courgette chocolate cake yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I've never had a glut of anything before - this is quite a novelty!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Courgette time again

To add a few ideas to the old thread:

Courgettes (try to use ones that are not really marrows yet), sliced thickly, cooked with a little onion in their own juices (and a bit of butter or oil), then sour cream or creme fraiche added and chopped ham.

Courgettes, sliced lengthways with a mandolin (i.e. quite thinly, if you don't have a mandolin), used instead of pasta sheets in a low-carb lasagne.

Slices of courgettes, dipped in batter and deep-fried (the Scottish favourite - or isn't it?)

Very young courgettes, sliced raw for salad (I have one every day, which keeps the glut to a minimum).

Courgettes, grated in fruitcake (it's not just nice in chocolate cake - I actually prefer beetroot for the chocolate version). Don't add any extra liquid, the courgettes provide enough.

And, of course, in omelet.

And a friend mentioned a version with almonds, but I've not done that yet.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I read about these courgette gluts but we've never had one - they only seem to come off one or two at a time at a rate we can manage. We only have one plant, so that might explain it.

Looks like I'll have to buy some to try some of these recipes :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

TBH, I 'm not a great fan of the fruit,but I grow as many as poss to eat the flowers (deep-fried,light tempura)......... lovely.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ratatouille, fry onions and garlic in olive oil, when softened dump loads of chopped courgettes and tomatoes and leave to cook in their own juices. You can add mushrooms as well and/or cubed potato for more substance. It freezes well too.

Re Ina's lasagne, you can make an "Irish" lasagne with slices of waxy potatoes instead of lasagne sheets. Sorry no courgettes in that.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Carltonian Man

Courgie and tom sauce for pasta, chips, fish pie etc. Slice courgies and onion and brown in a pan. Add to taste ground cumin, sea salt, garlic and black pepper then chuck in a load of freshly chopped toms. Cook it down before blitzing with a hand blender (at this stage I also add mature cheddar). Bring it back to a simmer, stir well and bottle in heated jars.

ina

And 1001 types of courgettes soup... My favourite - with Stilton.

I have two plants (and an extra one in a smallish container, so that one doesn't produce a lot - but I didn't have the heart to chuck it out...), and I almost manage to eat them all myself. OK, a few neighbours have had some, but I know they would be happy to take more off my hands, and I don't have any to spare! So no glut, really...
Ina

battybird

Thanks Zech, I posted that thread and had completely forgotten about courgette bread! Will start a loaf now...still using most of the recipes tho. I love this type of glut makes you so inventive. Now...just need to work out some recipes for the four cucumbers a day we have been picking for the last three weeks :study:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

John Headstrong
Site Geek
Site Geek
Facebook Name: John Headstrong

ina wrote:
Courgettes, sliced lengthways with a mandolin (i.e. quite thinly, if you don't have a mandolin), used instead of pasta sheets in a low-carb lasagne.

oh yes! just done that, delicious! other forms of Courgette lasagne also on the menu now. :study:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

... and you know those ones that get away and turn into maxi-courgettes? The ones that some people call marrows? Well, they're absolutely ideal for lasagne.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ina

Mine just don't get away any more - it's been too cold the last week or so. First it was too dry, now it's too cold. (I still have enough for myself, but can't supply the neighbours at the moment...)
Ina

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Mine have slowed right down, too. I wondered if it was the change in the weather.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

battybird

Ours slowed down a little while the cucumbers were going mad but have suddenly started up with a vengeance! Courgette bread was a bit of a disaster...the bread maker stopped working and I ended up with a half mixed mess. Tried to rework it but it turned into a heavy pudding...made a good topping in slices on savoury mince though!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon