Home made tomato ketchup

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Home made tomato ketchup

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:06 pm

You'll never buy it again!!

Based loosely on one of Keith Floyd's recipes.

2 1/2 lbs tomatoes, chopped (can de-seed and peel if liked)
1 lbs onions, finely chopped
1 large red pepper, de-seeded and chopped fine
4 oz sugar
3 - 4 large cloves garlic
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp paprika
2 large wine glasses vinegar
pinch powdered cloves
salt and pepper, chilli powder to taste
vegetable oil

Fry the three vegetables in the oil until soft and cooked through. Add all other ingredients, cook over a low heat for 2 hours + until coats the back of the wooden spoon. You can sieve it or liquidise it if you like it smoother. Put into clean dry sterilised bottles and process in hot water bath for 20 minutes or so. Cool, label and store.

Adjust amounts of seasonings etc to taste, can leave out chilli/mustard, cloves, etc if not liked.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:34 pm

That's the first one I have seen using a red pepper, cheers for posting. I have one pepper that is starting to go red and loads of green ones that hopefully should be ready when my 10-20 tomato plants start producing a glutt.

I must admit I only buy ketchup for barbeques so that others can use it, not a bug fan. however, proper home made stuff is another ball game.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Han&Matt
Tom Good
Tom Good

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Although I promise that I am not preparing quite this early, being short of change but rich in tomatoes made me wonder if tomato ketchup homemade in lovely bottles wouldn't make good Christmas presents? Same goes for all pickled fresh veg/chutneys/jams etc I guess. I am a preserving first-timer so it could all go terribly wrong... But I am willing to give it a try, and this recipie looks fab!
Also rather pleased to imagine the faces of my friends as they open their ketchup... (she has finally lost it, someone call the madhouse...).

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:51 pm

I think they'd be chuffed to bits to get that sort of thing for a present, especially the ketchup, as it's just a wee bit diferent to chutney, etc. Make sure it is properly processed though, or it will start to ferment and possibly burst.
visit my Creative Living forum
unboughtdelicacies
Radical sanity - it's the way to go.

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Elderberry Ketchup

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 am

You can make a really good ketchup using Elderberries - it's known as Polac (think that's how it's spelt). It's an old English recipe, just use elderberries instead of tomatoes otherwise the recipe is the same.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:13 am

Aha.... someone has just mentioned a local supply of good elderberries on Neeps! :mrgreen: Wine and sauce :)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shirley

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 am

http://www.patch-work.demon.co.uk/elder.htm#G

Found Pontack sauce on this site... lots of good elder recipes here!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:35 am

I wonder how much 'a box of pectin' is?

I was just told this morning by some local folk out scrumping for berries (elder and black) that if you cook elderberries with some green ones then you don't need lemon juice/pectin as well, as the green ones I presume contain pectin.

PurpleDragon

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Nice one, thanks. My tomato plants are fruitingvery nicely thank you, but there are way too many for a normal family to eat
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:21 am

I always use a bit of apple as it contains pectin - seems to do the trick, work with elder and balckberry jam.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Home made tomato ketchup

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Just found this recipe from 2005 posting for tomato ketchup, have had bumper crops of toms this year which I have mainly turned into passata and puree, will turn a few more pounds into this ketchup, sounds very good, Not many green ones this year, but enough to make a green tomato cake which is yummy,I hate chutney so cake seems a good alternative to me, unless anyone has a really good interesting chutney recipe that may turn me, I love hot and spicy stuff.

Thanks Lyn

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re:

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Millymollymandy wrote:I wonder how much 'a box of pectin' is?

I was just told this morning by some local folk out scrumping for berries (elder and black) that if you cook elderberries with some green ones then you don't need lemon juice/pectin as well, as the green ones I presume contain pectin.

Over here a box of pectin is half a cup. I buy it by the 4 pound bag at the local bulk foods store.
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

The Riff-Raff Element

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:43 am

diggernotdreamer wrote:Just found this recipe from 2005 posting for tomato ketchup, have had bumper crops of toms this year which I have mainly turned into passata and puree, will turn a few more pounds into this ketchup, sounds very good, Not many green ones this year, but enough to make a green tomato cake which is yummy,I hate chutney so cake seems a good alternative to me, unless anyone has a really good interesting chutney recipe that may turn me, I love hot and spicy stuff.

Thanks Lyn

I shall try to float your boat :mrgreen:

1.5 kg ripe tomatoes;
0.5 kg onions;
500ml vinegar;
400g sugar;
400g raisins;
Chilli powder, salt & pepper to taste

Don't bother skining or de-seeding the tomatoes, just dice them up and chuck them into a big pan with the finely chopped onions and the vinegar, then simmer until all is soft & squishy.

Add the sugar, dissolve and then add the raisins, chilli powder, salt & pepper.

Boil until thickened (stir it - it will catch otherwise and watch out becase it can really spit towards the end). Check and adjust seasoning if necessary then jar it as usual. The sugar and raisins make a real salt/sweet/sour flavour hit. I've made about 7 kilos of the stuff this year because everyone loves it.

oldjerry

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am

I've been hit by a cheap bottle of Champers,so a touch more detail please Jon.Wine vinegar? brown Sugar? Do you blitz it before bottling?.....Cheers, OJ.

The Riff-Raff Element

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:14 am

OJ - hope you're not too badly hurt...

Vinegar - I just use spirit vinegar (the white stuff) because we don't have malt vinegar in France. I've tried using wine vinegar and even adding a bit of balsamic, but the change in flavour was minimal to be honest.

Sugar - ditto really. Plain white sugar is fine. I've tried others but the effect is not significant.

I don't blitz it. The texture is very soft though the raisins remain nicely intact so it looks attractive.

Return to “What's in the pot? Recipes and anything about Cooking”