Swedish fermented Vegetables info needed

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Swedish fermented Vegetables info needed

Added a little water yesterday and brought in from the conservatory and popped the lid on... took the lid off this evening and it fizzed at me... guessing that's a good thing?
Sitting on the fence isn't without it's risks

KeithBeasley
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Great discussions! I too was impressed when Dave and Si started talking about fermentation - definitely a lost art on much of the planet.

As it happens, Dr Terry Willard, one of my collages at The BodyMInd Institute (we run on-lime course related to health and well-being) has recently introduced a whole series of short courses on fermentation, that you may all find of interest.

This is the one on Vegetables: http://bodymindinstitute.com/browse/fer ... egetables/

Happy Fermenting!

Keith

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

benner wrote:
... Pickling in vinegar isn't an option as I don't do malt vinegar due to any gluten content.
You should really try making your own vinegar if you like vinegar that is, it is as easy as falling off a log, and if you brew your own alcohol, cheap as chips. Anyway, if you fancy a go, get some starter vinegar, that is, live vinegar, the kind that says on the back, may go cloudy. Aspalls and Braggs do it. Get your alcohol in an open kilner jar or similar, add about 25% starter vinegar, you'll need to use cider or white wine etc, then cover with a cloth, keep it out of direct sunlight and just wait. It will get a skin on it then a thick layer of cellulose. Some people call this a 'mother' but it's just cellulose and really not the important bit so don't get obsessed about it. Anyway, that's it. Easy!
Last edited by applegrower on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

applegrower wrote:
benner wrote:
... Pickling in vinegar isn't an option as I don't do malt vinegar due to any gluten content.
You should really try making your own vinegar if you like vinegar that is, it is as easy as falling off a log, and if you brew your own alcohol, cheap as chips. Anyway, if you fancy a go, get some starter vinegar, that is, live vinegar, the kind that says on the back, may go cloudy. Appalls and Braggs do it. Get your alcohol in an open kilner jar or similar, add about 25% starter vinegar, you'll need to use cider or white wine etc, then cover with a cloth, keep it out of direct sunlight and just wait. It will get a skin on it then a thick layer of cellulose. Some people call this a 'mother' but it's just cellulose and really not the important bit so don't get obsessed about it. Anyway, that's it. Easy!
Just keep it as far away from any brewing gear as possible, you don't want acetobacter anywhere near homebrew (unless making viniger)

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Brewtrog wrote:
applegrower wrote:
benner wrote:
Just keep it as far away from any brewing gear as possible, you don't want acetobacter anywhere near homebrew (unless making viniger)
Acetobacter aceti are everywhere, anyway, if you're a brewer then you always have to take precautions against Acetobacter aceti as a matter of course. Don't you?

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

applegrower wrote: Acetobacter aceti are everywhere, anyway, if you're a brewer then you always have to take precautions against Acetobacter aceti as a matter of course. Don't you?
It is and you do, but if you are actively making viniger as well, then you are tempting fate if you keep the two near, doubly so if you use the same kit for both.

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

It is and you do, but if you are actively making viniger as well, then you are tempting fate if you keep the two near, doubly so if you use the same kit for both.
This is why I stopped posting to discussion groups. I wish I'd kept out of it all together now. THE VOICE OF DOOM HAS SPOKEN OOOOOOOOOHHH. ALL HEED THE VOICE OF DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!! Jees, how do you get up in the morning?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

applegrower wrote:This is why I stopped posting to discussion groups. I wish I'd kept out of it all together now. THE VOICE OF DOOM HAS SPOKEN OOOOOOOOOHHH. ALL HEED THE VOICE OF DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!! Jees, how do you get up in the morning?
Hey, keep it civil please, no need to shout at other members.
Play nicely.
Admin
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

this doesn't really help with me wanting to know about fermenting vegetables, but I did make some kind of vinegar out of the cheese from my apple press, it was a ph of 4, which probably isn't enough for proper pickling but acceptable for salad dressing and making herb vinegar

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Odsox wrote:
applegrower wrote:This is why I stopped posting to discussion groups. I wish I'd kept out of it all together now. THE VOICE OF DOOM HAS SPOKEN OOOOOOOOOHHH. ALL HEED THE VOICE OF DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!! Jees, how do you get up in the morning?
Hey, keep it civil please, no need to shout at other members.
Play nicely.
Admin
Oh good grief, I'm trying to deal with a situation by using humour. I used capitals for effect, to evoke a spooky voice. Any shouting is just in your head. I'm done. If you can't shout at people anymore become an admin and wag your finger, stamp your feet, be really patronising and condemning. I am not 5 years old! Good bye! Oh, are exclamation marks acceptable, wait, who cares!!!!?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

applegrower wrote:Oh good grief, I'm trying to deal with a situation by using humour
Well I'm afraid it didn't look that way, maybe read it again and see how it might look to other people.
If you really meant it to be humorous then maybe a smiley or two would have made it more evident to thick people like me. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

applegrower wrote:
Odsox wrote:
Oh good grief, I'm trying to deal with a situation by using humour. I used capitals for effect, to evoke a spooky voice. Any shouting is just in your head. I'm done. If you can't shout at people anymore become an admin and wag your finger, stamp your feet, be really patronising and condemning. I am not 5 years old! Good bye! Oh, are exclamation marks acceptable, wait, who cares!!!!?
To be fair I actually read it as "spooky voice", so no worries on my part.
I didn't mean it as the voice of doom at all, just meant it as take proper precautions. I wouldn't mind trying to make a viniger one day, but I'd not use the DJ, or airlock for wine again, and I'd keep that is away from my brewing room. There is a difference between taking a doom and gloom approach and being sensible. If it looks like it's about to pee it down outside, I'll put my coat on, or at least in my bag.

As you asked (and I thank you for your concern, it is really touching), I struggle to get up in the morning, I'm a night owl :lol:

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

diggernotdreamer wrote:this doesn't really help with me wanting to know about fermenting vegetables, but I did make some kind of vinegar out of the cheese from my apple press, it was a ph of 4, which probably isn't enough for proper pickling but acceptable for salad dressing and making herb vinegar
Sorry, was a bit off topic. I can give you a great parsnip wine recipe if that helps :drunken:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brewtrog wrote:
Sorry, was a bit off topic. I can give you a great parsnip wine recipe if that helps :drunken:
thanks, but I'll stick to a nice merlot :lol:

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

diggernotdreamer wrote:
Brewtrog wrote:
thanks, but I'll stick to a nice merlot :lol:
Actually makes a fantastic sherry, admittedly it's one of the more in depth recipes I have.