School dinners

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

School dinners

Does anyone remember rainbow sponge pudding and pink custard, and where those particular recipes can be found?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: School dinners

I doubt there's a specific recipe, just school cooks getting handy with food colourings.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think there is a good facebook page called dinner ladies, you can find recipes on there for all those disgusting meals that ended up in the pig bin, minced beef pie, gypsy tart and everyone's favourite pink custard with thick skin, apparently, there was a special thickener put in at the last minute to give it that shoe leather texture, they did sign a secrecy act not to divulge all the recipes, but since the eradication of the school dinner they have been sharing their secrets with the world

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm thinking of flavouring a cake strawberry flavour by using blancmange powder mix - what could go wrong?

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Why not use strawberries?

I'm increasingly grateful we weren't subjected to school dinners as kids...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I want to try and reproduce the pink part of the rainbow sponge pudding - somehow, I doubt fresh fruit would have been used.

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pink food colouring and strawberry flavouring I imagine would have been the original, but you'd do a much better job with real strawbs for the flavour side of things I imagine (as an aside there should be tons of recipes for rainbow cakes). As for pink custard then pink food colouring is a magic thing. But, from my memory of school dinners,why would you want to recreate them? I stopped buying them and spent the money on sweets/saved it up for books

bonniethomas06

think yourself lucky - we could only dream of mince beef pie as we chowed down on our turkey twizzlers and soggy cheese and onion Ginsters pasties microwaved so hot they literally removed the epidermis on your lips!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com