Oven Temperatures

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
CookOnFire
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Oven Temperatures

All ovens whether gas, electric, fan assisited, oil, wood or solid fuel fired operate at a range of temperatures. When your recipe says "290 degrees C for 30 minutes" it does not mean exactly 290 for all that time. On gas and electric cookers there must be a range between which the temperature rises and falls in response to the thermostat. For someone struggling to cook on less controllable cookers (e.g. wood fired) it would be nice to know what that range is and whether it varies (and by how much) depending on whether a hot moderate or low oven is called for. Does anyone know? It would help to make more of an exact science out of cooking on Rayburn and Esse type cookers if you knew what range of temperatures you were aiming for - not just a single number.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Oven Temperatures

I've never cooked on one but I rather get the impression it's considered of more an art than a science. Others may know better.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

CookOnFire
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Oven Temperatures

I've cooked on a Solid fuel Rayburn for nearly 30 years and its neither art of science its just difficult! It takes a lot of practice and I'm just trying to work out ways of making it simpler. The manufacturers don't provide much guidance.