Meat for mincing

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Meat for mincing

As it's been in a cupboard for a few years now, I thought I might try mincing some meat with my cast iron clamping mincer. I'd be making beef burgers, so is there a particular type of cut to use - my thinking is that as it's being minced, even tough cuts could be used.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Meat for mincing

Just make sure it has a decent amount of fat.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: Meat for mincing

I agree with GA - as with sausages, a reasonable amount of fat is essential.

I don't know what happens up North but these days only to first two quality cuts seem to wind up in the supermarkets (except for the actual butcher shops), the cheaper cuts such as skirt, rib strip, shin, neck etc. all wind up in mince - minus the fat because the diet police say its unhealthy. There is no food that is bad for you, only the quantity.

My eldest brother was an old school butcher (a 6 year apprenticeship started at age 14) and his knowledge of how to use every scrap of a beast is phenomenal - sadly he has a terminal illness and most of the knowledge will soon be lost
Don't let your vision cloud your sight