Odds and ends

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Odds and ends

Just discovered this site, and thought it was brilliant.
You put in what foods you have, and it searches for recipes that you can make with them. :iconbiggrin:
www.supercook.com
I am Anti: Plastic, Palm Oil, Consumerism, Petrol, Diesel, Capitalism.
I am Pro: Nature, Make Do And Mend, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Fairtrade, Organic.

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Odds and ends

I really should stop looking at it...so many yummy foods to be made. Perhaps I should become a professional baker!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

AmalWarrior wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:12 pm Perhaps I should become a professional baker!
Been there, done that. It's hard work for not much return, especially in a small village like mine, the customers are ecstatic about your products and flippin' rude, in equal measure and it nearly killed my husband, who it would appear can't tolerate large quantities of pie, bread and cake :shock: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 pm Been there, done that. It's hard work for not much return
I agree, that's why I have never even considered selling my produce, I can't be arsed with customers.
I make sure I only produce the (more or less) exact amount for what we can use, including eggs.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Agree also Odsox - but for me its the arty-farty, foody fashionistas with their mass media inspired wanna-be gournet "needs" and the niche marketing five acre tree-changers with their over-inflated ego's that keep me away.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Weedo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:36 pm the arty-farty, foody fashionistas with their mass media inspired wanna-be gournet "needs"
They were the ones who tended to be rude, Weedo. One woman flounced out, declaring loudly "I can't believe they don't have anything gluten-free in this day and age". Of course there was no consideration of the fact that everything was freshly made, by us, daily - nothing was bought in, no knowledge around the regulations and requirements re making and selling anything claiming to be gluten-free, or the fact that we were a tiny bakery, in a village of ~300 people making all those shenanigans just not worthwhile - even in tourist season. Of course if she really needed gluten-free i.e. coeliac, she would have brought an adequate supply of products with her - no one with serious health issues of that nature would trust that they'd find suitable food in such remote areas as ours - even in this day and age!

The outstanding example of ecstatic customers was an Australian family. A young couple came in the shop and very quietly asked if there was anything vegan they could buy. When we informed them everything was vegan they ran off and came back with parents and siblings, about half a dozen of them. They cleared us out of pizza, pasties and cakes, which they ate there in the shop, moaning with pleasure, and then loaded up with bread and more, still warm, cake to take away. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also make precisely the amount of wine I need, and not a drop more.
I do. I DO!!!
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Green Aura wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 am The outstanding example of ecstatic customers was an Australian family. A young couple came in the shop and very quietly asked if there was anything vegan they could buy. When we informed them everything was vegan they ran off and came back with parents and siblings, about half a dozen of them. They cleared us out of pizza, pasties and cakes, which they ate there in the shop, moaning with pleasure, and then loaded up with bread and more, still warm, cake to take away. :lol:
If 90% of your customer base had been like this, things may have been quite different!