Making Mayonnaise

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
possum
A selfsufficientish Regular

Making Mayonnaise

With the abundance of eggs that we have at the moment, i decided to try and make mayonnaise.
total failure
I followed the recipe, but even after adding only half the amount of oil, all i was left with was a yelllow glupy liquid

so what am i going wrong, how do i get the nice light fluffy consistency of shop bought stuff?
Opinionated but harmless

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

it will never become like the stuff you buy in shops as that is whipped to within an inch of its life*- you might get closer by using a foodprocesser... but I doubt it.

*my preferred kind lol!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

contadina

Also, it gets thicker the more oil that you add. It's important to add the first half of the oil very slowly (drop by drop) but you'll need to add the rest in a steady stream to ensure a lovely thick consistency. I do mine in either a blender or food processor and it's miles better than shop-bought Helmet's white glup!

possum

I was doing it in a blender, I think it might be that I added the oil too quickly, it said drizzle it, so I poured in in the thinest steady stream I could get
What recipes do you use?
Opinionated but harmless

contadina

1 egg (I use the whole egg, but it will keep longer if you just use yolks)
half tsp salt
half tsp mustard
2 tsp cider or wine vinegar
half pint of oil

Put egg, salt, mustard and vinegar in blender and blitz for a few secs to mix.
Whilst still blending very slowly feed half the oil drop by drop. As the oil is added the mayo will become thick. Add the rest of the oil in small quantities until it has all been incorporated.

possum

that is similar to the recipe i have, though mine uses more eggs
I used only the yokes as at the moment I am trying to use up 50 or so - the ducks are the most reliable layers I have ever had - about 4 a day from 5 females, so i don't mind wasting the whites.
I will give it another go today and let you know how it goes, definitely adding the oil drop by drop this time
Opinionated but harmless

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think that the eggs need to be as fresh as possible, and the quality of the olive oil makes a huge difference to the taste (maybe not the consistency.)

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

The key is adding the oil as slowly as you possible can ... literally a drop at a time, a healthy drizzle or flow will lead to a nasty liquid instead of a beautiful creamy gloop.... :mrgreen:

Use very fresh eggs and a mix of vegetable (or other neutralish oil) and olive oils - I find just olive to be a little overpowering

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I've found (completely by accident in my "self aware" fridge) that egg whites can be frozen, then defrosted with no change in properties or taste.
so long as it's not done in a microwave.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Camile
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello,

I do make mayonnaise from time to time ... and it sounds like too much oil to me ...

just add thhe oil slowly all the way untill you have a nice thick consistency that sticks to the spoon and doesn't run anymore.

And I'm pretty sure ducks or goose eggs are no good for mayonnaise, try with a chicken one as fresh as can be ...

You can use vinegar from the cornichons jar .. it makes the best mayonnaise ..

Camile

possum

Well i tried again
this time i did use hens eggs, though I don't think the problem was with the duck eggs, other than I used four duck eggs which is way more than using 4 hens eggs.
I think the problem was adding the oil too quickly and then stop adding the oil because I thought it would just make it even more runny.
This time, I let the blender beat it for quite a while, adding the oil about a teaspoon at a time. It wasn't as white and fluffy as the stuff you buy, but it made very good coleslaw, i didn't add all the oil as the recipe said to add till you got the desired consistency.
Opinionated but harmless