101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking person

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Shirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: 101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking perso

34 years in NHS as a nurse....looking forward to my pension. If the goverment doesn't ruin it!

I have my allotment and try to be as ISH as poss :thumbright:
oh! yet
Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?

battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

I am a nurse managing a chemotherapy outpatients unit. Extremely stressful at times but I love the work. Went off for a years unpaid career break in nov 2007-2008 and made a good start on renovating a derelict barn in central porugal. Unfortately OH had a recurrence of a brain tumour during that year, so we spent several months in ...hospitals!! It decided me to make lifechanging decisions and I went back as a jobshare where we worked either one or two weeks on then one or two weeks off...really successful and made it easier to keep work /life balanced. Currently off work as OH has had more surgery and is waiting for decision on next treatment! Have managed to fit trip in to Portugal between treatments and the allotment is keeping both of us (fairly) sane also. My motto for life is..if at all possible,
go for it...you never want to be thinking "I wish I had..." . :iconbiggrin:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Milims

I'm back to what is proving to be my favourite job - in a fancy dress shop! I spent yesterday wearing ladybird deely boppers and today dressed as a pirate - who knows what the rest of the week may bring! Unfortunately someone bought my slinky :(
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Millymollymandy

Really pleased to hear it Milims - I did think that job suited you much better than the power suited high heeled executive type! Good luck. :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

No wonder you're posting on the grumpy old men thread :lol: OK, I'll get my coat........
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

im a full time mum to 2 kids and i suppose you would say my husband and i are self employed farmers, growing and selling our excess fruit, veg and nuts. were getting chickens this week which we will see the eggs from, and we are growing flowers in the garden from which we'll take cuttings to pot up and sell also. we're getting dairy goats next year and ill be making and selling cheese as well.

but my husband has a degree in sustainable agriculture which is perfect for what were doing, and i have a degree in zoology which helps also.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

i am a full time pastry chef and a full time single parent
the job comes in very handy alway bring home empty wine bottle
beer bottle, jam jars, 5 litres plastic buckets
along with egg shells and used coffee for the garden
a grown my own fruit and veg
make my own wines and beers, and preserves
make my own cosmetic
and make a lot of my own cloths
don't ask how i fit it all in a don't know but it always gets done
Darn that Wabbit

Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Having spent years trying to work in the most ethical jobs we could find, we now make charcoal and teach charcoal making. The pay isn't fantastic, but the opportunities to forage, grow veg, keep chickens and be outside make up for any lack of funds. Before we worked for ourselves, my best job was at Essential Trading Co-operative. A truly ethical company with some great co-workers.
https://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working

Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy

Starfaun
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I'm a student and additionally I work hours at a nearby hotel and conference facility owned by a foundation for children's welfare, so the conferences held there mostly deal with social issues, which I personally find quite interesting.

I do everything - fill up coffee machines, do the laundry, reception work, clean the rooms, fix translations, help out in the kitchen when necessary, will pick up and drop off guests at the train station when I have my license, etc. The work environment is ok - I think we probably use too much chemicals for cleaning, but we're really good at recycling! Also, we have this really cute electric mini-car for transporting the laundry and the foundation is currently building one of those huge wind power stations to become self-sufficient in electricity. Not too bad, eh? :wink:

Eventually, I want to be self-employed, but I don't know what I want to do, so for now this is just perfect for me, really.

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

I wanted to be a forestry worker, but have ended up as a gemmologist/geologist.

Most of what i do can be done over the internet - so i can tend my crops in betwwen going online to answer emails etc.

magicguitarman
latitude: 55.8528
longitude: -4.2671

I do two things, first and foremost I am a guitar and percussion teacher. Sadly building up the business takes time and effort so for the time being I am also working with a local charity that helps and advises asylum seekers and refugees. While the teaching is my first love, the second job is something I can care about, and that makes the world of difference.

I'd love to go back to uni and study something else, get a job working outside. Forestry or conservation. But I simply can't afford the cost of study.
I view the world vicariously through comedy. Don't take me seriously.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

magicguitarman wrote:
I'd love to go back to uni and study something else, get a job working outside. Forestry or conservation. But I simply can't afford the cost of study.
Have you thought about the Open University? They do mix and match courses, quite a few modules relate to the environment. Their fees are a lot cheaper than a bricks and mortar university, although they have just put their prices up, but you can study and work at the same time. Also, if you already have some qualifications, you may be able to count them towards your degree, thereby cutting the cost and the time needed.

I'm studying sustainable design with them at the moment and find the support really good.

Zoe

magicguitarman
latitude: 55.8528
longitude: -4.2671

At the moment I can't even afford the OU. I've studied with them before and I will again, it's a case of sorting my financial situation! Thanks for the tip though :)
I view the world vicariously through comedy. Don't take me seriously.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

If you're entitled to any benefits you can get money off OU courses. At least you used to be. I'd love to do another course through them but don't have the time.

Personally, I'm a freelance painter, proofreader and editor, work part-time at my local Waterstones, have 3 kids including a clingy 17-month old, a border collie with severe OCD/ADHD, and housework.

sleepyowl

I need to update mine & say Pagan Chaplain too at Aston Uni, I'm part of their eco group & they are planing in putting in wildflower meadow gardens in the courtyards of the new buildings
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/