101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking person

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Cligereen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: 101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking person

I'm an Assistant Director of Nursing in a General Hospital. I'm getting a bit burnt out now though, so I'm diversifying into 'happier' places in my free time.

I do a bit of work as a movie extra. In fact I was in Rock Rivals and a Heineken ad. I also played a priest in a film called 'Eden'. Autographs are on sale in the foyer :cooldude:

I've also become a Tour Director (a sort of educational tour guide) and I'll be taking my first group of American and Canadian high school students on a tour of Ireland, Wales and England next April (wish me luck).

Other than that I try to be as self-sufficientish as possible ( or as my family call it - "bloody weird") :banghead:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Check me out on
http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... een-Living
My website www.fallstoppers.com

sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking perso

I'm a househusband, tarot reader, holistic therapist, garden potterer & unfortunately a sales assistant
Last edited by sleepyowl on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am a trainer for an insurance call centre.

I'm sure I don't need to spell out my feelings on this.

I really really want to train to become a countryside ranger but have neither the time nor the money to do it. :cry:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Until 18 months ago I was a drug worker - working with people with heroin problems etc. I really loved working with my clients, but it was getting to the point where I was being paid to fill in forms, do audits and other B/S and less effective work with the actual person. OH is computer programmer, whose company got bought out and found himself doing support work instead of programming. A fraught household for a while.

I've been qualified as an aromatherapist for a while but it was really difficult to dump the paycheck and set up on my own - especially when everyone (no matter how minimally trained) can call themselves an aromatherapist.

When we came up here for our annual chillfest in Apr. 07 and discovered a unit for sale in the craft village we grabbed the lifeline. Since moving in I've started a small but expanding aromatherapy practice, opened a shop selling handmade soaps, cosmetics, crocheted stuff etc and have relaxed beyond anything I thought possible. I've got time for my veg garden, polytunnel, dancing and bodyboarding. We're much healthier - can't nip down to asda for a death by chocolate evening. In fact if we want cake etc I have to make it myself. So much less cake and wen we do it's lovely - not some dry, supermarket crap.

In addition, shortly after hubby followed me up here he was approached by an old employer and is now happily programming away in the other room. He has time to knock off for a cup of tea and a chat if neighbours drop in and still manages to get far more work done than he ever did in the office.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh and although I've not taken any salary yet (thanks to OH), I made enough money in my first year of trading to pay to do the aromatology training I've been dying to do. Life is good.
Maggie

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura, I am so jealous. My Oh and I are going crazy very quickly doing what we're doing with no solution up ahead.

I'm happy that there are people out there who are doing what they want to be doing whilst making the world a better place. It gives me hope that maybe one day it will happen to us.

xxxxx

:hello1:

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Really interesting reading what everyone does. Currently I am a full time Mum and part time OU student working on getting an MSc in Environmental Decision Making, which is essentially environmental management. My last job was working for the Planning dept of Brecon Beacons National Park which was a fantastic organisation to be a part of with amazing people working there, but I had a rubbish admin job and was treated like cr*p. It became clear that after 5 years they couldn't be arsed supporting any kind of progression because I didn't want to work full time (having 2 small children) :cussing:
I could start ranting here but am restraining myself, anyway as some consolation the senior management responsible are now all being investigated for a variety of sh*t management decisions in particular with regard to the planning dept.
My best job, and probably the most ish, was working for the Forest of Avon in Bristol (any Bristol ishers should look them up) Even if that was only an admin job too, I could cycle to work every day and knew we were helping get trees planted in community woods all around Bristol. One day I hope to do a non admin job but for now am concentrating on improving the ishiness of our home life. :mrgreen:

Phew, sorry that rambled a bit but I feel better now

ina

rockchick wrote: Phew, sorry that rambled a bit but I feel better now
No worries - ranting away often helps. And I know just what you mean... I've never minded doing a job I was "overqualified" for as long as I loved what I was doing, and felt appreciated. And some companies just don't know when they have good staff; not supporting part time staff is probably illegal nowadays, to be honest! We all had to have "diversity awareness training" - all, including the CE and the cleaners. So, at least in theory, this kind of thing shouldn't happen here - and I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The union is quite strong, too, which helps.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I think I must have one of the least selfsufficientish jobs of all - I work for a major fast food company! I've worked for them for over 11 years, and I have to say, probably wouldn't want to leave - I actually enjoy my job. I am really trying to change how I live in so many ways, but my job is one area I haven't done anything in - I'm trying to ignore it. Whilst I don't have a problem with fast food in its own right (occasionally of course) and I don't think fast food companies can be held responsible for people getting fat (choice, self-control etc etc), I do have a problem with the animal rights issue.

On the plus side, I manage pay and benefits and have the opportunity to have a positive impact on our employees. I am also paid well enough to mean that I can afford to buy fairtrade/organic etc all the time.

I'm torn - which is why I ignore it. :oops:
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

ina

Uller wrote: I'm torn - which is why I ignore it. :oops:
Best thing you can do. None of us is perfect; I suspect we all have areas in our life we'd rather do better on. But heck - you have a good job, you do enough thinking to realise what is potentially wrong with your company - so what more do you want!
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uller, if you have a job you enjoy then you are very lucky and if it pays the bills as well then you that's even better.

I believe wholeheartedly that there is an ideal job for everyone, the hard part is to find it. If you've found yours stick with it - and if you haven't, then at least you have a job you like well enough until you find it.

Few people can honestly say they've never been in a fast food joint, I know I have. I'm not convinced of their ethics, but then I'm not of most big business, like supermarkets or even the NHS. We do what we can and try not to beat ourselves up about what we can't.
Maggie

Flo

becks77 wrote:Of course the ultimate would be to have a smallholding and be totally self sufficient ....
Becks :flower:
Can I be a wet blanket as ever with things as we were very self sufficient when we lived on a farm when I was a kid - but there were buts of course.

Would you be able to provide all your own power, make the cloth for all your own furnishings and clothes, make your own candles and soap from your own tallow ... And would you be prepared to forgo all the things like car, bike, cart for horse, shoes for said horse as a means of transport, pen and paper, books, radio, TV, computer and internet that you can't make for yourself?

Self sufficient has always been a phrase that made me wonder if there was ever a time when we were just that. Or whether we have always depended on other members of a community to provide things for us.

Sorry - off topic I'll get back in me box. :smilebox:

ina

Flo wrote: Self sufficient has always been a phrase that made me wonder if there was ever a time when we were just that.
I think there was a time we were that - but that was a loooooooooong time ago... Before anybody started trading deer skins for flint stones. :mrgreen:
Ina

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right, guys i need a new job.
I'm sick of the one that i have, so i need a new one.

I had a look at those websites suggested, but i coulnd't understand half the adverts, let alone be confident enough to apply for the jobs! (and, i have a degree in English...you'd have thought i could at least decipher what they were on about...).

Help me get new job! I'd like to do something environmentally aware, and i'm currently training in ISO140001. I'm also a qualified body piercer, and a trained Export Clerk. Not that those two professions ever go together...

Ideally, i'd either like to pierce for a living (highly unlikely at the moment) or, i'd like to work in export dealing with antiquitis, artwork and licencing.

Anyone seen my perfect job anywhere?!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

azjh77 wrote:While at work yesterday I was into the 'office' - again - for a 'back to work meeting'. (Was in hospital last week)

I was told I wouldn't get a bonus due to being ill 'all the time' and on top of that HR ballsed my wages up and left me 200 pound short!

I'm not ashamed to say I burst into tears at the stress of it all (200 quid! I need that money!)

My boss said she thought I was depressed etc, and 'hadn't my husband noticed i was always bursting into tears' - to which I replied 'I'm not like this at home! I've got 4 kids to chase after! and animals to feed and cakes to bake! Like I have time to be miserable at home!'

Light bulb moment! I need to work somewhere that complements my ISH life - not somewhere that makes me miserable!
That is just what it ended up like in my Job, and I decided it wasn't worth it.

I was pregnant, and pregnancy was obviously not suiting me, I would get pains and feel really tired, I was finding it difficult to keep up at the same pace I had been (which was at least 3 times more than anyone else did anyway)
My manager suggested that maybe I should take it easy in the morning and not walk into work so I could last through my 4 hour shift - So forfit getting any housework or cooking done in the morning aswell as the evening because I was too exhausted....

Luckily I had a very nice doctor, I burst into tears when she asked me how work was and signed me off for the rest of the pregnany - wouldn't take no for an answer.

Your boss sounds like a right eejit - I wonder if they were told they were getting no bonus after having HR making mistakes in their wages - I wonder if they might get a little bit stressd too :angryfire:

I hope you are able to sort out your thoughts, just now might not be the best time to quit your job, but it beats being miserable in your job.

Fee - sorry, can't help there.......
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay