101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking person

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: 101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking person

Minnesota wrote:ElizabethBinary,
I hope you weren't welding for too long of a time without sleeves or gloves.
the UV radiation will give you one heck of a burn...like a sunburn.
I'm Mexican. I don't burn, I tan. I was welding only for an hour or so though, with many breaks.

But perhaps. My man is the one who was teaching me and he had a singlet on! Of course it was like smack dab mid summer in a shed, so it was super hot... maybe I shouldn't get welding advice from him no more!

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had to google singlet...he was only wearing a vest...Wow.

I do the ocassional welding for repair, once I was wearing short gloves.
so part of my arm was exposed between the glove and my long sleeved shirt.
I had a red burn there for three days. ouch !
I am a light skinned...swedish heritage.

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Vest? This is a singlet:

Thought they were tank tops or wife beaters (!) in America?

Ahh maybe that's the difference. I know the boy, who's Irish descent, gets a little red.. but hey, that's why they call 'em rednecks, right?!

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

I was a professional manager and have worked in the rag trade, Hospitality as one also was an upholsterer for six years out of school (OOOOOOOOH so long ago now) last career was a a sales and marketing manager for a small solar company but crashed and burned after over-working myself while not getting any sleep due to six child. So now grow vegetable seedlings for sale, make recycled wood plamnters and do occasional garden project for people. Plus being a small-block holder
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Fascinating to read what everyone does. Maybe there's no such thing as an Ish job, but more an Ish attitude to whatever job you do....?
I've done many different things over the years, and used to see this as a problem, but now I feel much more positive about being able to use different aspects of myself at different times.
I currently have a mixed week. I work three days a week as an admin officer in a school for students with profound and multiple learning difficulties. I am fortunate to work with some other people interested in environmental issues - the student curriculum includes recycling and gardening - and I can have some small impact because I can recycle office papers, turn off lights and office machinery, try to order environmentally-friendly products etc. I spend about one day a week making felt, which is my passion (some art pieces, some accessories to sell). And I've just started doing a sensory story-telling workshop one morning a week too, for young adults with pmld - I get a budget for resources, so hope I can use reclaimed and reused materials wherever possible.
I think I am very lucky to be able to work at things I find sympathetic and fulfilling. But How can i persuade my partner to be a bit more ISH....?! :dontknow:

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

at the moment im a single mum, but trying desperately to get a job in graphic design, finished my degree 3 yrs ago and have been doing the odd job here and there but i really want to do it full time as i love it so much ( although i would struggle working for certain companies)

at the moment though i crochet/knit and sew and try to make cash through that while i work out my plan for starting out in graphic design. im also a photographer although i have yet to do that professionally or make money from my photos, but to me that doesnt matter as i love it!

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Hey Crowsashes, why not use you gd skilss and photography knowledge to create an eco journal of ish type life and gardens with advice for beginners, nothing complex jus a small no. pages in colour, it could grow into a monthly self-sufficient mag. Just a thought!

And it could enable you to work from home and be near your loveone - s and garden
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

crowsashes

homegrown wrote:Hey Crowsashes, why not use you gd skilss and photography knowledge to create an eco journal of ish type life and gardens with advice for beginners, nothing complex jus a small no. pages in colour, it could grow into a monthly self-sufficient mag. Just a thought!

And it could enable you to work from home and be near your loveone - s and garden
im actually about to start a blog on my ish stuff and have a 'book' already in progress thats actually a gift for my son ( when he gets bigger) with things in it like how to darn a sock, make a decent stock and other ish stuff! as well as little things like the recipies for his favourite meals as he grows up ( will say much more than a photo album ) i am considering getting it reproduced to give to my various family members but at the moment it is a work in progress along with all the other stuff im working on.

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

HOLY CRAP GUYS!

I just got a paying gig as a STUNT WOMAN. I have to jump off a 30 foot building... fight a kungfu master on wires in the air, abseil down the side of a building, do an army obstacle course and jump through fire and glass windows!!!

I know it's not very Ish but heck if that ain't a sign that I'm MORE than self-sufficient, I'm also an adrenaline junkie. WOOHOO!

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I work as a support worker for people with disabilities, do it because I love it and I take my ishyness to work with me lol, we are very good at sorting the rubbish now :iconbiggrin:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Can't say I have an ish job. I teach and commute by train and bike, recycle everything from school - the whole school does and I moved so I could use public transport and shop locally and have a garden

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

I work for a text question and answer company, so I can work from home which allows me to set my own work environment and means I don't have to travel in to an office, have special work clothes or even speak to anyone. I can also set my own hours which is good as I'm working around children, allotment, baking and all the other ish activities. It's pretty minimally paid but you can't ahve everything :dontknow:

Liz
Liz

Milims

I work in a party shop!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

there was some fresh manure on the road outside my spread, so i picked it up and put it on my roses.
so manure shovelling could be a worthy profession :roll:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Worked in the Theatre, as a design engineer, retired 20 years ago, work harder now than I did then, don't get paid, but live better, happier, with a lot less money.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.