101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking person

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking perso

Can't remember what I was the last time I posted - possibly a trainee company lawyer in Bristol. Qualified a two years ago, spent a year doing the job and hated every minute. So found a part-time quasi-legal job ten minutes from home and went to college to learn floristry. Nearly done and will be starting my own business 2 days a week for the short term. Want to focus on using UK grown seasonal flowers as I thinkthey are MASSIVELY overlooked at the moment - toying with the idea of growing my own cut flowers as we have the land available to us. Only problem is can't afford to give up the job enitrely, which doesn't leave much time for the growing bit.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Good for you Bonnie. I'm so glad that you've got there. Well done. Do let us know where you'll be selling.

I know I've mentioned this before but don't forget the foliage. It's really quite difficult to get decent foliage for making up your own flower displays.

Zoe

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

bonniethomas06 wrote:Want to focus on using UK grown seasonal flowers as I think they are MASSIVELY overlooked at the moment
I totally agree. When discussing what I wanted in a wedding bouquet some years back, I listed flowers I liked and the florist said rather disparagingly, "Oh, you want garden flowers." Um, yes, that's exactly what I wanted.

Quite a lot of people I know are vaguely aware of exploitation in the cut flower industry (well, I'm vaguely aware - others probably know a lot more about this) and don't buy them for that reason, so if you were growing your own/buying from a known, ethical source, that could be a selling point.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm a project management consultant. Mostly do training, recruitment, and rescue failing projects for large companies. I part own the consultancy so only work when our homestead needs a cash injection - which is nice!
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well, it seems to be a truism for most of us that you either have time or money, but never both together. That's sad, because both situations tend towards wastage. So, I guess the -ish ideal would not be a profession at all, but part-time, self-employed, independant work that brings in enough cash to cover essential bills and the tools and equipment you need to make the most of the rest of the day, when you are free to grow your food, brew your beer, keep your livestock, cultivate your friendships, improve the environment and generally reduce the impact of your ecological footprint on the world. And I think, if we as a nation were serious about sustainability, that is the goal towards which we would be educating our children.

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

Can't remember what I was the last time I posted - possibly a trainee company lawyer in Bristol. Qualified a two years ago, spent a year doing the job and hated every minute. So found a part-time quasi-legal job ten minutes from home and went to college to learn floristry. Nearly done and will be starting my own business 2 days a week for the short term. Want to focus on using UK grown seasonal flowers as I thinkthey are MASSIVELY overlooked at the moment - toying with the idea of growing my own cut flowers as we have the land available to us. Only problem is can't afford to give up the job enitrely, which doesn't leave much time for the growing bit.
Let me know if you need any ox-eye daisys (free) as i have a field of them. They look nice but not sure if people use them for flowers.

If only ragwort could be sold to florists - life would be easy!!

battybird

Found my last post nearly 2yrs ago! Have now taken early retirement and work as an agency nurse, as often as I need the money. Luckily there is always work and I pick and choose where and when. So much less stress, time to live instead of work, and other staff are pleased to see me instead of telling me all the problems I would need to deal with (formerly chemo unit manager!). I spend less money on food, fuel, running the car and I have gone back to really enjoying my job. AND I can go to portugal to live the (cheap) good life whenever time and budget allows. And OH is so much better, he can enjoy life with me. :cheers:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

narmour
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 55
longitude: 06

I'm a marine biologist with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency. Were working on a big project at the minute which is aimed at classifying every waterbody in the country based on it's water quality and initiating management strategies to ensure they all receive good status by 2015. Governed by EU legislation Water Framework Directive. My practical part of this project is to assess estuaries based on fish communities.

EcoSam
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Unemployed MSc student at the moment studying an architectural MSc in advanced environmental and energy studies at CAT (I'm not an architect though). I finish in January but I don't have a clue what I want to try and get work in... Preferably self-employed and in keeping with my principles. I'm really interested in sustainable agriculture and forestry (Permaculture, agroforestry and the like), smallholding and crofting, and sustainability in general... What I do with all that interest will require some thinking and research.

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I currently work in customer services for a distribution company and it is not a good working environment. :( The office has no windows so we have no natural light or fresh air, the building is too hot in summer and freezing in the winter meaning the aircon has to be on for most of the year. We have no recycling facilities despite going through endless amounts of paper and old stock (ie: plates, cups etc) is just thrown in the bin and my suggestions that it be donated to a charity shop have been laughed at. It's not cleaned properly either, our bins don't even have liners in them so goodness knows what's lingered there over the past 7 or so years since they were brought, all the door frames are covered with black finger marks from the drivers and engineers and the kitchen and bathroom drains stank the place out for over 6 months before the company decided to get them repaired properly. And worst of all there is that constant horrible droning sound made by a room full of computers.

Thankfully I have just landed an interview for a better job and as long as the office has a window I will be so much happier!
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

I wish I knew
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

now finally throwing myself into design/photography/illustration fulltime... i think i have the perfect job... i just dont have the income i need :/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just starting the process of applying for farm assist to start my business. I have ideas for the growing of unusual and interesting salad crops and some of the more expensive leafy crops like kales and sprouting broccoli. There is a sideline I have been thinking of by planting flowers and shrubs and producing home grown cut flowers and woody stems for local florists. There is interest in gardening courses which I have run for many years in the UK which I could do here from my home and bottling, jam making and basic cookery using seasonal produce. When we move out of our mobile home into our refurbished home, we could house a few woofers from time to time to lend a hand (so if anyone fancies that contact me). I want to supply within a 3-5 mile radius and there are two shops in our village, pubs and a restaurant plus, gate sales (I could operate an honesty system from my mobile home which is close to the road)

2Bornot2B?
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I run, but don't own, a small horticultural machinery repair shop. It takes a lot of time. I have been growing most of our own veg, but due to a lack of time and a heart condition that appeared from nowhere in February, I have had to ease up quite a bit for the good of my wife's nerves. :wink:
Currently, then, a wage slave, but luckily, for the most part, enjoy my work.

happyhippy

I work as a Catering Manager for the NHS.Don't mind my job and about the only eco thing we have in the office is a recycling bin.My boss has the heating up full blast which is pretty annoying,considering he only wears a thin shirt and trousers,no jumper or other layers so is "freezing"most of the time.My OH works in a warehouse as a storeman.