101 things to tell yourself to put your house in order

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Shabba
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: 101 things to tell yourself to put your house in order

[quoteIf you haven't used it in past 12 months, you don't need it now[/quote]

I need to absorb this particular phrase into my being, particularly where my clothes are concerned. I have 4 large drawers and a wardrobe full of clothes and the ones I actually wear regularly would probably fill 1 of the drawers. Many of them don't even fit me anymore but I hang onto them as I'm hoping to lose some weight and it would be good not to have to buy loads of new clothes if I succeed!

I'm also a book hoarder. If I really enjoy a particular book then I usually keep it as I am the kind of person who can read a book more than once. But I have started systematically working my way through all the books I've had for ages, reading them and giving them to the charity shop or selling them on GreenMetropolis.com if I don't think I'll read them again. Its a slow process but my bookshelves are starting to look a bit tidier!

I seem to have inherited from my mother a tendency to keep birthday cards and old letters etc. Even photos of people I don't even know! I have realised recently that there is no logic to this and have disposed of them all!

I also occasionally have a big purge and try to go by William Morris' advice "Have nothing in your home that you do not KNOW to be useful or believe to be beautiful". I stress the word "know" as I think to myself "it might be useful in the future" but I need to train myself to only keep it if its useful NOW!

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: 101 things to tell yourself to put your house in order

I also occasionally have a big purge and try to go by William Morris' advice "Have nothing in your home that you do not KNOW to be useful or believe to be beautiful". I stress the word "know" as I think to myself "it might be useful in the future" but I need to train myself to only keep it if its useful NOW!
When I try to stick to this quote, hubby adds "preferably BOTH!"

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!