101 uses for glass jars

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 101 uses for glass jars

Loads of good ideas here - specially like the mini-cloches

Now can anyone think of a good idea for small marmite jars?
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

herbs and essential oils should be kept dark so I guess marmite jars could do those quite well. If you label them it doesn't matter what you store inside...

prison break fan

Cassiepod beat me to it! I was going to suggest herbs. They look lovely with their yellow lids. pbf

sleepyowl

put a little beer in them & use them as a slug trap
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

earthmotherwithin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Use a jar to shake the salad dressing in.
Perth Western Australia

StripyPixieSocks

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but my Dad gently puts growing strawberries inside them to act as a) a mini greenhouse and b) stops mice and whatnot getting to them!

I concur with outdoor lanterns.. brilliant for BBQ's in the summer evenings!

We use jars for storing home made spice mixes in (we actually get the empty large Bockwurst jars off of the family and the Peanut Butter jars from ASDA with the white lids)

My OH and the jars

There's many, many more gone on the shelves since that photo so we have used lots of jars and saved them from the recycling bin etc!

You can also put food mixes of a hundred and one varieties in them and give them as gifts

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

anyone seen on grand designs, the one with a tyre retaining wall, they also had a glass jar/bottle wall, in which all they did was cut two identcle jars in half, paired them together (end to end), and then built them into a wall

hows that for eco living

jenko

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

jenko wrote:anyone seen on grand designs, the one with a tyre retaining wall, they also had a glass jar/bottle wall, in which all they did was cut two identcle jars in half, paired them together (end to end), and then built them into a wall

hows that for eco living
Would need 101+ jars for a decent wall though, but what lovely idea. Would let light though but still separate one area from another. You could half the number of jars by using a mirror - good for a wall where you need privacy or if it has no light on the other side.

The Victorian Farm (BBC2, episode 2) used wine bottle to insulate a pigsty floor. I guess you could do the same with inverted jars. I think that make make quite a nice feature in a patio, especially with a mirror below to reflect light back up. Or how about in a green house for the path down the centre.

Personally I use jars to keep small change. I have one full of euros, US cents, etc. Seems to acquire these slowly in my change. Might have enough to buy a coffee on holiday one day.

I also have one or two for cleaning brushes. The paint sinks to the bottom after a while and I can decant the solvent to reuse. After a while the remaining paint residue sets and can be scraped out and the jar reused, or recycled.

I have a jar I use to bleeding my MGB's brakes, and for storing the bleeding pipe in between bleeds.
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

StripyPixieSocks

We store everything in glass jars.

We get those large glass brockwurst jars from family and we also use supermarket cheap peanut butter jars with the white plastic lids.

We buy huge bags of pulses and spiced from the Indian shops and store them in the jars of a shelf!

I also make up my own spice mixes, chicken coatings etc and store them in jars also.

... and there's many, many more been added since that photo was taken :D