101 ways to get rid of slugs

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

66. Wishfull thinking.

First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

crackerjac
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I recently got an allotment, and I've noticed LOADS! of slugs and snails. Last weekend, I threw into a bucketful of water many that I found, put the bucket on a wooden platform, sprinkled some salt around the bucket, so mo escape for the slimies, as I call them.
Could this count as 67?

Oh, I've also shovelled them (too slimy to touch - aaaiiii!) and thrown them next door (unoccupied lottie at the moment). They probably came back to mine though :cry:

www.jacnal.blogspot.com
Jac xXx

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars you have a right to be here..........Be at peace with God whatever you conceive Him to be" ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann.

www.jacnal.blogspot.com

ladykathryn
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Nematodes and Copper tape

I purchased with doubt of course a packet of some white stuff called nematodes. you mix it with a bucket o water and pour liberally. I used copper tape on my strawberry bucket and on the woodden border around the veggie patch. VIOLA! Not a slug to be seen! Brilliant! And they don't hurt the environment and are not poisionous to children or pets of any kind.

I have had a few snails mind. At first I thought the feeling of flying might teach em a lesson but that didn't seem very nice, so I thought about the squashing method, seemed too cruel. Then I found a very nice idea. Since the council has raised our rates again, I thought if I put these lovely creatures into the bin the council could happily pay for their holiday to the local land fill, where of course there will be PLENTY for the snails to eat.

What could be better, free transport, nice holiday, plenty of free food, wide spaces to roam freely and I don't have to feel badly about killing anything! Everyone is happy!

I have the biggest radishes you have ever seen, my lettuce and spinish are simply delish! :flower:
Gardens are like people, they need love, warmth, food and care, and always are their best when shared with others!

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Andy Hamilton wrote:Slug eggs are like little white ball bearings. Whenever I do a bit of digging on my allotment I tend to find some, easily crushed between fingers. Would need too many to become an omlette, perhaps you could have pickled slug eggs as a starter.
Oh, so that's what those little things were I found all over the strawberry patch yesterday :( Explains a thing or two. I was fervently hoping they were oeufs of something useful like ladybirds or, or, something.

We have an absolutely epic slug problem at our new house, so we've ordered nematodes. We have 3/4 of an acre so that would be a firk of a lot of eggshells or beer :mrgreen:

Oh oh oh, I've just seen I've got a Margot, that is so perfect!!

Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have done a comprehensive study of slug methods this year having fed them several whole seed packets of lettuce and herbs.
With all this rain salt was pointless, they happily crawled over carpet (including my bathroom), paper, sand, grit, sharp stuff liek egg shells, copper wire (but that did put them off a bit)

I stopped planting anything out and put vaseline around my pots, only slowed the down a bit, then in combination with vaseline, copper wire and stading them on a suspended grid with jeys fluid spray underneath... I hit on gold: Wire wool. I stand my pots on wire wool and they really won't crawl over that.

So much lettuce since!! :cheers:
Just Do It!

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi. We used nemetodes and they worked fantastically well and very quickly. We had slugs carpeting the grass, back step, conservatory floor etc, they were just gross, but the nemetodes sorted them our toot-sweet. I'd definitely use them again if we had another infestation.

Sooty
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Soot and slugs

Good tip for all you organic types..I always put a good linning of soot in my trenches before i plant my potatoes 2 to 3 inches of soot is ideal,dont bother weathering it,the more caustic the better,just drop your chitted potatoes straight into it...Slugs hate it...Incorporate more soot when you earth up,and as an asside dust the tops with soot about once a fortnight while theres a risk of blight about ,this also keeps blight away..Soot also keeps wire worms and other nasties at bay too...Try some next year and you can look forward to a nice healthy clean crop of organic spuds..MMmmmm..Oh and because a typical sample of soot contains between 3 to 6% percent of nitrogen just watch those tops green up and rocket away...
Curry cures everything!!! Its just a case of getting the quantity right...

QuakerBear

45. Pick them off with chopsticks (sorry I still don't like touching them), put 'em in a tub, then dump 'em.

46. Are they too slow to race?
QuakerBear

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sotty is that coal soot orwood ash (Or have I just answerd my own question?!)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

or wood soot?

As far as I know, coal 'dust' or ash is too acidic to even add too compost, so I don't fancy it's chances under potatoes (even if it is soot) But wood ash is aparently fantastic for everything (I have yet to have a wood-ash based growing season) the way some people talk it has magical properties.

So... I'd imagine that soot from your chimney, if you only burn wood, would be as good as the ashes.

?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Peggy Sue

On our new allotment the previous 'owner' was one of the stewards who had it as a second plot. He has left us a bag of soot which he told us we need to spread in January. I didn't like to cross examine him, just thanked him and said I would.

I shall have to ask him what sort of soot it is, he burns alot of old stuff down the allotment which is dead plants/weeds and old wood, but I would have called that ash. :? Got me thinking...
Just Do It!

Sooty
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Slugs love "bran"..!!! If you spread little piles of dry bran where there's slug activity,the slugs find it irresistable,eat it,swell up and,well not to put too fine a point on it,thats one slug less...If the bran gets wet the slugs still gorge themselves on it in preference to your precious crops,only trouble is sometimes they have room for dessert,which in my case can be strawberrys..lol..
Bran is cheap as chips,and lasts for ages... Give it a go!!!
Curry cures everything!!! Its just a case of getting the quantity right...

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

Beer traps then compost. The Final Solution. I have no anger. TeeHee!
Bin Waste - 4 weeks - 3.25oz
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

Pip Tiddlepip
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Next to my little plastic greenhouse is a pot with a solution of highly salted water. I go out on snail patrol first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

There are a lot of snails out there mourning their mates who came into my garden and never returned...scoff my seedlings, feel my anger...
"We're all doomed...aye."

helianthus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hello, I am new here ...... had such a good laugh reading those suggestions, that I had to register to post. I have bought some organic slug pellets btw, which are great (but only when it is not raining :( ) ...

However, for a nice evening hobby:

Find a nice stick and a long nail, attach the nail to the end of the stick, leaving enough nail at the end. Wait until evening, and pretend you are a speerhunter extraordinaire :mrgreen:

Good fun, but don't get your face very close, they do splatter a lot (as mentioned during the slug and brick method).
“Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.â€