101 re-uses for 2litre bottles

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:33 pm

Crikey Shirlz, I have just been to the dump with three huge bagfuls of plastic bottles and stuff. Should have see this earlier.

What a great idea! I wonder if you could store water in the bottles for an emergency watering system when you go away?
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Shirley

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:23 am

I thought I'd posted about it before somewhere Shiney - but must have dreamt it... it was in my last copy of sepa view - a great free publication from the scottish environment protection agency - http://www.sepa.org.uk/pdf/publications ... ay2006.pdf - all the other issues are there too.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:18 pm

I was trying to see if there was any info on the environment agency website - they have a link to http://www.recycle-more.co.uk/ which has some interesting stuff on.

The Chili Monster

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Cut out a section from the middle, use scissors to fashion "teeth" and place round bottom of plant to ward off slugs.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Chocobed
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

2 litre bottles

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:25 pm

Cut of base and sink 3/4 into soil near thursty plants i.e. tomatoes/pumpkins. Use to water and avoid evaporation at soil level.
I also use for growbag watering.

Chocobed

101 uses for a 2 litre bottle

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Cut in half and sink for beer traps.

red

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:28 pm

make elderflower champagne and ginger beer in them
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Shirley

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:43 pm

fill with tap water and freeze... use to fill up the spaces in your freezer.. a full freezer works best... BUT...also doubles up as a bit of fresh water if you have a water cut off for whatever reason.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Milims

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:54 pm

I just checked out the web site about building a green house with plastic bottles - what an awesome idea!!! Think I'll tell Chris to build a frame and hey presto - instant green house - just add lemonade!!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

elfcurry
Tom Good
Tom Good

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:57 pm

Shirlz2005 wrote:fill with tap water and freeze... use to fill up the spaces in your freezer.. a full freezer works best... BUT...also doubles up as a bit of fresh water if you have a water cut off for whatever reason.
I don't agree; you're wasting energy by freezing water for no good reason.

The idea of filling your freezer (if it's the upright type) is to reduce the volume of cold air which can "fall out" and get replaced by warm air each time you open the door. Opening introduces more moisture in the new warm air which you have to use energy freeze this new layer and requires defrosting. It also reduces efficiency as ice is a poor conductor.

Empty bottles will stop the air exchange occuring and still occupy the volume but without wasting energy. For a chest freezer you don't need to bother because it's like a tank of cold air and opening it doesn't cause an air change.

Boots

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:51 pm

Just found a handy use for the square 2L milk bottles (I'm guessing you folks have them?). Cut both top and bottom off and secure around small trees when planting with two bamboo sticks or tomato stakes pushed down into the earth inside opposite corners.

Apparently they provide sun protection, wind protection and also help with watering as you can water directly into them...
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

newbiemum05
Tom Good
Tom Good

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:51 pm

21) Use to store dry foods i.e. pasta, flour, legumes etc.

The bulk foods place down the road was very impressed when I brought my own containers.

Love this idea as I was just about to splash out on some jars (used all ones we had)
Would these be vermin proof ?? If I was to use these for dry goods in my foodstore ?? they would be on shelves ??
~I came, I picked, I preserved~

~If I always try harder than yesterday to make a difference in the world, one day I might just make it~

Shirley

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:53 pm

elfcurry wrote:
Shirlz2005 wrote:fill with tap water and freeze... use to fill up the spaces in your freezer.. a full freezer works best... BUT...also doubles up as a bit of fresh water if you have a water cut off for whatever reason.
I don't agree; you're wasting energy by freezing water for no good reason.

The idea of filling your freezer (if it's the upright type) is to reduce the volume of cold air which can "fall out" and get replaced by warm air each time you open the door. Opening introduces more moisture in the new warm air which you have to use energy freeze this new layer and requires defrosting. It also reduces efficiency as ice is a poor conductor.

Empty bottles will stop the air exchange occuring and still occupy the volume but without wasting energy. For a chest freezer you don't need to bother because it's like a tank of cold air and opening it doesn't cause an air change.
I stand corrected :oops: :mrgreen: I love this site - you learn so much.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

the_mac_monster
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:01 pm

chop off the top or bottom of a bottle and make a little hole, to use it as a hamster bed.
Its warm and you can still check to see if they're ok, especially if they've had a litter of babies!

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:38 pm

cut top of and use as a dust dome to cover delicate ornaments etc