101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

boboff wrote:
greenorelse wrote:20 A device to prevent vehicles coming within a couple of feet of cyclists and pedestrians.*

*Yes, I know the brain has already been invented. You know what I mean.

You mean those Richard Heads who insist on wearing Lycra and riding two a breast chatting way on country lanes making it impossible to pass safely?
TWO ABREAST !
Wow you're lucky, the ones around here like to travel as a group 4, 5 or even 6 abreast. You even have to almost stop when you meet them going the other way, supposedly on the opposite side of the single track lane.
I'd like to invent one of those revolving wheel knives that the Roman chariots had that I could retract at other times. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

greenorelse
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Yep, the more cyclists the better. :iconbiggrin:
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

MarcherLady
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Something that can hoover up my sleepiness when I need to get up for work, and inject it back into my head when I'm staring at the ceiling with insomnia in the middle of the night!

boboff

It really bugs me, even as a pedastrian when we are out for a walk along lanes, I insist we all walk single file facing on coming traffic when cars approach.

People who ride Bikes and Motorbikes are preprogramed I think to believe they are superior.

But people who rise horses are considerate, and polite? Now why is that? ( I have no opinion, I just don't know!)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, I agree, they're all superior to motorists.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Susie

MarcherLady wrote:Something that can hoover up my sleepiness when I need to get up for work, and inject it back into my head when I'm staring at the ceiling with insomnia in the middle of the night!
Oh me too :hugish: .
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:It really bugs me, even as a pedastrian when we are out for a walk along lanes, I insist we all walk single file facing on coming traffic when cars approach.

People who ride Bikes and Motorbikes are preprogramed I think to believe they are superior.

But people who rise horses are considerate, and polite? Now why is that? ( I have no opinion, I just don't know!)
I like to think that I am a considerate Motorcyclist.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

A button on the TV which sets off an alarm on the remote controle so you can find it when its lost.

A button on a key ring, which you can hang up on your key hook, which sets off an alarm on your keys.

A diet pill that actually works and without side effects.

Built in soler powered mobile phones, lap tops, speakers ect. ect.

Soler pannel roof tiles, so your whole roof would be a soler pannel, providing energy for your whole house.

Teleportation which wouldnt envolve having to go through a black hole or anything else life thretning.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:
I am very surprised at this,but quite please that the people I have come across are not representative of the country. I ride and do not expect traffic to give me any more consideration ( animal wise) than they would to a person walking their dog.
IF and I mean a BIG IF I have a horse in training then I do use a support person walking out behind keeping traffic broad and that person would wear a tab-bard saying "YOUNG HORSE IN TRAINING" but generally speaking I do not expect the world to stop because I have gone out for a hack. Most motorcyclists are very very considerate,most lorry drivers do everything in their power to not use the air brakes and most car drivers are equally considerate.
Of-course I have had a few near scrapes. Once I had my stirrup clipped by a car wing mirror- well that was not acceptable. Once a (normally steady horse) took off ( after having given me adequate warning that he was very scared about something coming up behind him), he just got more and more spooked and then faster and faster ending in a good old gallop along a quiet lane , when I eventually got control of the situation and realised what was happening (I.e. could glance behind me) ... It was a normal flat bed trailer but it had huge roof pearling s on the back. so overall the picture was not "normal" to the horse. The driver seeing the horse spook thought it best to overtake us quickly when he "knew " it was a safe and fast / clear piece of road.-- I'm not sure who was most surprised at how fast this horse would go when being chased by a monster.. All ended well however when I realised I could steer out into the middle of the road (thus indicating to the driver - no you are not going to overtake) then peel off to the right, into a lane with recycling bins at the end.
The driver was not being mean he misjudged what to do but I know so many other horse riders who are incredibly rude. It 's like the please thank you thing gone mad. They stick their arm out and do the waving slow down gesture. If drivers slow and take a wide berth they do the big "thank you" but if not they stick their fingers up.
How is that polite? They did not need to direct traffic their horse was calm and used to traffic? I say to other riders "get over yourself" Once you see a car coming up behind you , you can be fairly sure they have seen you, the only traffic calming should be to advise them that the road is not clear ahead for them to overtake.

Oh and back to topic, could I get a (large) dog door (in my back door) that doesn't blow open and create a gale force wind though the house. If I wanted to leave a half door open I would not have spent money on a "Flap".
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

trinder wrote:
boboff wrote:
I am very surprised at this,but quite please that the people I have come across are not representative of the country. I ride and do not expect traffic to give me any more consideration ( animal wise) than they would to a person walking their dog.
IF and I mean a BIG IF I have a horse in training then I do use a support person walking out behind keeping traffic broad and that person would wear a tab-bard saying "YOUNG HORSE IN TRAINING" but generally speaking I do not expect the world to stop because I have gone out for a hack. Most motorcyclists are very very considerate,most lorry drivers do everything in their power to not use the air brakes and most car drivers are equally considerate.
Of-course I have had a few near scrapes. Once I had my stirrup clipped by a car wing mirror- well that was not acceptable. Once a (normally steady horse) took off ( after having given me adequate warning that he was very scared about something coming up behind him), he just got more and more spooked and then faster and faster ending in a good old gallop along a quiet lane , when I eventually got control of the situation and realised what was happening (I.e. could glance behind me) ... It was a normal flat bed trailer but it had huge roof pearling s on the back. so overall the picture was not "normal" to the horse. The driver seeing the horse spook thought it best to overtake us quickly when he "knew " it was a safe and fast / clear piece of road.-- I'm not sure who was most surprised at how fast this horse would go when being chased by a monster.. All ended well however when I realised I could steer out into the middle of the road (thus indicating to the driver - no you are not going to overtake) then peel off to the right, into a lane with recycling bins at the end.
The driver was not being mean he misjudged what to do but I know so many other horse riders who are incredibly rude. It 's like the please thank you thing gone mad. They stick their arm out and do the waving slow down gesture. If drivers slow and take a wide berth they do the big "thank you" but if not they stick their fingers up.
How is that polite? They did not need to direct traffic their horse was calm and used to traffic? I say to other riders "get over yourself" Once you see a car coming up behind you , you can be fairly sure they have seen you, the only traffic calming should be to advise them that the road is not clear ahead for them to overtake.

Oh and back to topic, could I get a (large) dog door (in my back door) that doesn't blow open and create a gale force wind though the house. If I wanted to leave a half door open I would not have spent money on a "Flap".

My mum was telling me, when she was out for a hack on her horse years ago, that she was riding down this quiet contry road when she saw a tractor pulling a big open trailer with bits of an aroplain on it. There was wings sticking out the side taking up the whole road. She thought the horse was goint to spook for sure and she managed to calmly pull into the side of the road at a gate into a field to let the tractor past. The horse didn't bat an eye lid. Then, as she was continuing down the road, a women went past with a baby in a pram with a parasol for the sun and the horse spooked at it and took off down the road! She mangaed to re-gain control futher down the road and make it back to the farm in one piece. But, the moral of the story i guess is you never know what a horse is going to take fright at. All motorists, cycleists, dog walkers ect should take care when passing horses.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

boboff

Some motorcyclists are ok, trouble is you don't notice those using the road quietly and safely.
I think the brain size of motorcycleists is related to there panier size, the larger the side bags the bigger the brain.
No paniers = someone who wants to do 80 in a 30, rev the engine at 6 in the morning, overtake on blind bends, across solid white lines etc, do 120 along normal roads, the complain people pull out on them ( for complain read die)
It's interesting the stuff on horses, we get allot of them near us, and I have a footpath running along the property, which the previous owners objected to horses using, too me, I love to see them, and have no issues what so ever, and as we link a nice path along the river with no traffic, I like to think I can encourage this, the fact you get some pretty young women riding in Jodpurs is purely a serendipidous co-incidence.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:Some motorcyclists are ok, trouble is you don't notice those using the road quietly and safely.
I think the brain size of motorcycleists is related to there panier size, the larger the side bags the bigger the brain.
No paniers = someone who wants to do 80 in a 30, rev the engine at 6 in the morning, overtake on blind bends, across solid white lines etc, do 120 along normal roads, the complain people pull out on them ( for complain read die)
It's interesting the stuff on horses, we get allot of them near us, and I have a footpath running along the property, which the previous owners objected to horses using, too me, I love to see them, and have no issues what so ever, and as we link a nice path along the river with no traffic, I like to think I can encourage this, the fact you get some pretty young women riding in Jodpurs is purely a serendipidous co-incidence.
Totally with you regarding the sight of young ladies in jodphurs. However if they are using the footpath by your property, they are breaking the law as it needs to be classified as a bridlepath or above.

Every faction has their fair share of black sheep. Some 4 x 4 drivers are perfectly fine whilst others think they can bully other road users into the gutter. The same also goes for white van drivers. Some sports car drivers are in the habit of using excessive speed as are young lads with hot hatches.

I think brain sizes are of a fairly uniformed size it is just how people apply them.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

boboff

Indeed.

I do agree with you 100%

But that Think Bike Think Twonk spoof add is very funny.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:Some motorcyclists are ok, trouble is you don't notice those using the road quietly and safely.
not sure it a good sign if you do not notice these using the roads quite and safely
might explain why we end up getting hit far to often
i have both a fast sport bike and one with panniers were dose that leave me

""""People who ride Bikes and Motorbikes are preprogramed I think to believe they are superior.""""""""

being a motorcycle I cannot agree with this total, there are some that do and are some that are total idiots.
but I would say most are pretty good people and very considerate and a lot more aware of the roads
Last edited by wabbit955 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darn that Wabbit

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

back to the subject
29 ish :- some thing that stop bugs hit my visor
Last edited by wabbit955 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darn that Wabbit