101 uses for a roof rack

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

101 uses for a roof rack

1. Creep for piglets.

The roof rack came off a Land Rover Defender 110 and was being stored in the rafters of the hay shed. As we already have one on our Land Rover and needed a creep, I decided the roofrack would fit the bill.

I dismantled it (not an easy job as many of the bolts and screws had rusted tight), reconfigured it and then reassembled it. I then placed three pressure treated wooden spacers between the bottom bar and the floor (to keep the metal out of the pig muck and urine).

The creep is bolted to the floor (through the spacers) with M10 rawlbolts sunk 50mm into solid concrete. It's also attached to the walls with M8 rawlbolts, again 50mm deep into the breeze blocks.

I'll put a wooden platform inside the creep, made of four 2x4s pressure treated joists with salvaged decking boards on top. This will keep the piglets off the floor.

Now, I also have another two thirds of a roof rack left. Any ideas for their use? I have a few, but was wondering what people could come up with!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I reckon you may struggle to get as far as 10.1 on this one, Stoney.

However, I did once use one of my roof bars as an engine hoist, for want of anything better to hand. Chain around engine in car and around roof bar; me on one end, unsuspecting lodger on the other; knees bend and liiiiift.

It's a heavy duty roof bar, but it's been a bit crooked ever since.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

2steps

pan rack for the kitchen

Stonehead

2steps wrote:pan rack for the kitchen
Brilliant. We're looking to reorganise the kitchen to make more space for storing root vegetables, so I could move the pots onto part of the roofrack.

I suppose I could use the remainder to finish the clothes maid I was building, but that's a bit too easy.

Any more?

2steps

I have a rack that hangs from the celing to save space :)

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hmm, tricky. Spose you could always bolt it to the roof of the car and use it to transport items that would not fit in the car.
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong