Large reusable nappy!Help!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
TheLily
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Large reusable nappy!Help!

Firstly Hello!(my first time on Eco-parenting)

I have been tring to find somewhere that i could buy a very large reusable nappy from but have had no luck.My daughter Maia is the size of an average 6yr old(she's nearly 5)and she needs to open her bowels in a nappy.She's been using the largest size disp for this,which is not comfortable now as it's too tight and is such a waste when you factor in that sometimes she can't actually 'go',but has pee'd in it trying to so it's now for the landfill.

I have thought about trying to make a couple but would need to do it properly and don't feel confident enough to just go at it by copying one of her brothers nappies.

Any ideas?Are there nappy patterns for that size?Does anyone make them for a specific size?

Thanks in advance x

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Large reusable nappy!Help!

Would a terries nappy folded diagonally be enough? It would be big enough but not absorbent enough for wees (I would imagine)

I have seen big night time disposable nappies - age 8 I think.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

TheLily
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Annpan wrote:Would a terries nappy folded diagonally be enough? It would be big enough but not absorbent enough for wees (I would imagine)

I have seen big night time disposable nappies - age 8 I think.

I had a try at that a few weeks back but it was so far removed from her understanding of a 'nappy' that she had a meltdown.She has however expressed an interest in her brothers reusables which is what made me wonder if she'd accept it as an alternative to disps?

The next step for her is larger disposables through the incontinence service i believe(not sure of the cost)but i would dearly love to make or find a large reusable for her instead as she finds certain materials hard enough to bear as it is without having to adjust to another disp.

Think i may have to just play with the sewing machine for a while :mrgreen:

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Try asking the question onhttp://www.mothering.com/discussions/ they have sections for both special needs and diapering.

Otherwise, where I used to work disposables for children with special needs over 5 were free, they should be in your area too.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi,

I make my own wraps, I have been posting instructions on a page on my blog, that could be of help to you.

If you don't have the time or the inclination, I could always make you one or two either at cost or swapsies, they cost around 3.50 a wrap for me to make, I'm sure that I could increase the largest pattern that i use, which fits my 3 1/2 YO.

I could even swop you the materials to make them yourself, as I have a lot of if and some funky fabrics too, Rubber ducks, hibiscus flowers, blue cats (yes blue!) the list goes on.

Give it a thought.

Lorna x

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

As promised piccie of the various fabrics. Lorna x
S3000209.JPG
S3000209.JPG (195.01 KiB) Viewed 3077 times

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

have a look at this http://www.mother-ease.co.uk/product/10 ... -ease.html

sandys is a brilliant nappy, and ths one goes up to 45lbs (20kg), would that be big enough?

if not, inconfidence do washable child and adult products, have a look at this http://www.in-confidence.co.uk/prodinfo ... ber=BAG005

hope this helps
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

witchstorm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi
Not sure if you still need info on this but a Bimble Bumper is massive, i can do measurements if that would help. They are available at a few online nappy retailers. Minki Huggle XL are also big not sure if they will fit a 6 yr size though.
Liz