Cloth nappies

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular

Cloth nappies

Spin off from Islay's post -

How many nappies do you in your stash & how regularly do you wash them?

Clara, you said 6 nappies is enough and now I feel terribly greedy!
I've got way too many I think especially as Indi spends most of these warmer days in no nappy at all!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

witchstorm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Cloth nappies

I have no idea how many I've got :oops: but 6 would be nowhere near enough for us. Having more means I can wash less frequently but I still tend to do them every other day as they need time to dry and I won't dry them in the tumble drier.

Clara

6 is fine for me, given that right now it's reliably 30 degrees and breezy, a nappy can dry in a couple of hours and I tend to wash twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon - but I have far more, which I'll need come winter.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well, being in the midst of New Baby Chaos, I have 20 bamboo nappies and am just about ticking over with that many. This will eventually be way too many when we are out of the initial pooey stage, but at 5 and a half weeks she has so much stuff exploding out of her rear end that we are getting through squillions! Also, I've found these bamboo ones take AGES to dry (like, at least 2 days) so I need this many so that I actually have some dry ones available at all times. We also 'cheat' and use eco-disposables at night, and still only just have enough dry bamboo nappies during the day, due to their long drying time. Actually, I'm looking forward to Bubs outgrowing these ones (they were donated to us by my sister) so I can get back to my beloved Fluffles. I also have 20 of those, but they dry very quickly and also don't seem to stain as much as these bamboo things. I can wash the Fluffles at 40 but I keep having to crank it up for the bamboo.

From memory, when DD1 was out of the explosive baby poo stage, we only got through about 5 nappies every 24 hours. We could probably have survived on less than 20, but having more means you can do fewer loads of washing.

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

about 25? prefolds that is. washing about every 4-5 days (just put a load on as we speak!) As SOME of us (clara!!!) dont have such predictably amazing weather i have to sort of factor-in drying time, as peeps have said, and wash when there is about 10 left, enough for a couple of days.

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

:oops: I'm just going to hand my head in shame, I started with 15 terry squares but now appear to have a picnic basket full of various shapes and sizes, oh there is aslo a large kitchen bin full of the ones waiting to be washed :oops:

Although having said that I did get just about all of them off of free cycle, and they are different sizes as George is a big lad, and by the time I decided to free cycle the smaller ones we found out that number 4 was on it's way, so now there is no point.

I do only have to do a nappy wash about every 5 days if I wanted to thought, which does mean that I can wait for the good weather to do the washing, rather than have them round the house trying to dry.

Mr luvpie thought I was obsessed at one point, but it didn't help that everytime I tried to get wraps from freecycle the lovely women would say, of instead of just the wraps I've put in the 10 nappies that I used with them..... well it would have been rude to say no thanks!! :lol:

Sarahx
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

citizentwiglet

I've just bought 20 Little Lambs size 2 shaped nappies - I couldn't be doing with origami-folding a square whilst dealing with a very wriggly baby. He's 9 months now, so past the poo explosion stage, and I am reliably informed that, if I do a wash every other day (which I do anyway with a dirt magnet toddler who doesn't have many clothes), I should be fine. I don't have a tumble dryer, so in Winter I'll need to dry them indoors so I was recommended the microfibre nappies. I ended up with 8 microfibre and 12 cotton.......but I have a feeling I may be searching on Freecycle for some more microfibres for the Winter as they do dry VERY quickly indeed.

I got the 20 nappies, plus 20 fleece liners, 10 wraps, a roll of liner paper and a bucket for £150.00 - that's not bad, is it? More expensive than squares, of course, but *hangs head in shame* we weren't using the squares as much as we should have - OH hated them and always used the emergency back-up disposables and, I confess, sometimes I wasn't ar$ed with the battle, either. These should now do him until he's toilet trained, so in the long run it's saved us - and landfill!
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Penny Lane

I've got a couple of little lambs. They're probably my favourites (after terries) but do take a while to dry and if I don't get trousers on ds quick enough he'll start pulling the velcro tabs!

Also got a pile of tot bots which you secure with nappi nippas but I really prefer the terries, especially when its a sunny day and they're drying on the line!
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ooooh a fluffy thread! DS has eight Wonderoos, seven new style and one old style, that I use as the last resort. I also have a Sandys and two Thirsties wraps bugt I rarely ever use them. We get through 4-5 naps on the average day; I wash them in the evg and they're dry by morning. I'd absolutely love more but we just don't have the budget :(
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

witchstorm

When they start pulling at the tabs on the velcro/aplix ones add a nippa :)

Penny Lane

witchstorm wrote:When they start pulling at the tabs on the velcro/aplix ones add a nippa :)
Oh of course! Thanks witchstorm :thumbright:
The Norm.

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm inspirational, me. :toothy4:
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

I ordered another nappy last night as I want to get Max into cloth at night. I've bought a slightly damaged Minki Huggle that I can mend, and a large fleece liner to use with our Sandys, in the hopes that those two will see us through nights. I have two disps left and hope I won't have to buy any more!
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/