Packing hospital bag.

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Packing hospital bag.

You might have thought that I'd remember by now what to put in my bag, I think that I have got all of the essentials. Has anyone got any tips of what else might be useful please? I have no idea of now long I am going to be there, or whether or not I am going to get away with a natural birth this time.

Thanks Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Milims

Re: Packing hospital bag.

Lavender oil - good for if you feel a bit sicky as well as relaxing. Good luck! :flower:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'll try and think of anything out of the ordinary that I wished I'd had last time, but if your using real nappies I'd be interested to know how many you used in the first few days (just really want to make sure that I've got enough sorted to save mrluvpie washing whilst im in for the couple of days

Oh and good luck

Sarahx
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I would say enormous granny knickers. Not very attractive, but it's all about comfort in those first few days. I also took a little battery operated fan in case it got very hot in the delivery room (athough I ended up having a section!) and plenty of bottles of water.

Oh, and a banana smoothie :lol:

I'm really pleased the pregnancy is going well and you're nearly all the way to full term. Huzzah! Must be a great relief for you.

:flower:

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just remembered the one thing that I was glad of having last time, an i-pod and a really really good book, Youngest luvpie slept all day and was awake all night for the 2 nights that they may me stay, and in a hospital ward there was no way of getting sleep through the day so I just stuck my music on and read/napped through an old and well loved book, that way if I did manage to get a nap it didn't matter if I lost my page as I knew the story off by heart!!

Sarahx
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I had an Excel spreadsheet for my hospital packing list. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Some of the many essentials for me were:
1) lots and lots of dried fruit - I was starving, and wasn't offered any food (gave birth in the evening, then had surgery, so went onto the ward at about 1am)
2) A nightie you can breastfeed in, if you're planning it
3) tooth brush and paste
4) Nappies - they did provide disposables, but having them at hand meant less effort
5) lansinoh - saved me from sore boobs in the early days! definite essential.
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

i agree with the big pants, and also something to 'cover up' with like a big jumper or dressing gown as i remember feeling a bit delicate and exposed when the visitors started coming. might not be for you but make-up was a definite essential for those first photos! and ask visitors to bring u home cooked meals, as u probably know, hospital food SUCKS!!!

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

had to laugh at the hosiptal food comments, I had george by planned section on new years eve, I was the first one so was back on the ward by lunchtime, by the evening I was hungry and so sent mrluvpie to go and get food, thinking that they couldn't mess up a buffet tea, only for him to come back empty handed saying that the care assistant had told him that as i'd had a major op I wouldn't want anything to eat :shock: I put him right, and he was obviously more scared of me, who by this point hadn't eaten anything for 24 hrs (I struggle to go 24 minutes some days!) so he returned to face the lady and brought me back two sarnies, abit of quiche and some chocolate cake :thumbright:

But i did point out to him that if he turned up the next morning without having found any snacks for me on the way then I might put someone elses name on the birth certificate!!!

Sarahx

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I heard stories of people brining in pizza in those big cookie boxes... Hospital food is so dire, I don't think I ever ate so poorly in my life... no fresh fruit or veg anywhere :roll: :(
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Raspberry leaf tea - I think you're supposed to start in the last few weeks. Good for strengthening contractions if memory serves.

Of course if you're not using that route it might not be required!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

thesunflowergal

Thanks everyone!!

Just after I had Orin, was Bfing so hubby went to get me some lunch. He returned with something that resembled tinned dog food, I asked him what it was and he replied that the care assistant did not know :lol: Oh the joys!! I later learnt that you can request a salad in the evening. :cheers:

Green Aura, Raspberry leaf tea is on the list. Thanks for jogging my memory. I am seriously hoping for a natural birth, but we will have to see what happens.

Big pants are packed, so is the good book!!

Do you think a Savoy Cabbage is too weird?? As I already have mastitis :(

Thanks GrubbySoles, luckly all seems to be going well. How are you getting on with your little lady??
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Definitely take the cabbage. At least it will give the midwives a chuckle!

See the 'cranial osteopathy' thread to see how I am getting on with my little lady!! She's very cute but still not settling too well (she's nearly 15 weeks now). I have learnt to survive on 5 hours of broken sleep a night...