Breast feeding, socially unacceptable or not?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Breast feeding, socially unacceptable or not?

It is difficult to imagine such a "conversation" in 2012. Surely the whole business should be a non-issue. The breast feeding should be simply a concern between the Mother and baby.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

fifi folle wrote:This has now been changed, under the sexual discrimination act you can breastfeed a child of any age with the protection of law.
In Scotland we have a Breastfeeding Act! Shame it's done nothing to increase the breastfeeding rates!

yeah, im from scotland and i allways thought there was a law making it illegal to tell anyone not to breastfeed their child (of any age) in public.
i allways thought this was the case in the whole of the UK. i never even concidered there would be an age limit on it. but its grate they've changed it now.

the fact is thought, that they shouldnt even need to make a law about it because it shouldnt even be an issue.
iv seen much more 'offencive' things on day time tv than a woman naturaly feeding her baby.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

PlainQB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello,

Just had my baby and am about to put this issue to the test.

I agree with Helsbells in theory but am a little shy about putting it into practice. I see so many magazine front covers, shop windows and billboards advertising by suggesting sex so I don't understand why I can't show a little bit of booby while feeding my baby. My booby isn't a sexual thing at feedtime so why should it be hidden?

Has anyone read the wikipedia article on breast feeding? It cites Saudi Arabia as an example where veiled women breast feeding in public is quite acceptable. I'd say this is because feeding isn't about my body, it's about my baby's needs. My grandfather who was born in 1910 used to say that a woman nursing her baby was a beautiful sight because it was a loving, caring act.

I'm going to try feeding in public as I get out and about more and will let you know if I encounter any negativity.

(LittleQB was just having his lunch but David Cameron was on the radio so he fell asleap really quickly!)

oldjerry

I'd be surprised if you encounter that much negetivity,Mrs Oj never got any grief. Let's face it,some people's raison d'etre is to be outraged by something,be it breastfeeding,or, apparently, bottlefeeding!.........Sod 'em.

To all you young'uns who have just,are about to,or are even thinking about having anew rugrat..Best Wishes to you all(they're great)........(if a tad expensive!)

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

As a man, I can only have an opinion as it is entirely up to the women concerned.

And my opinion is that it is one of the top, most wonderful things in this world, a mother feeding her baby; I almost feel jealous of a woman's ability to be so close and important to another creature. There are very few things comparable in terms of sheer awesome, beautiful naturalness.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

greenorelse wrote:As a man, I can only have an opinion as it is entirely up to the women concerned.

And my opinion is that it is one of the top, most wonderful things in this world, a mother feeding her baby; I almost feel jealous of a woman's ability to be so close and important to another creature. There are very few things comparable in terms of sheer awesome, beautiful naturalness.

there should be a like button on this!

LIKE :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

PlainQB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello,

Yesterday morning I took my little chap to my Quaker meeting. He slept through the whole thing but during tea woke up and wanted his own drink. I breast fed him and no one batted an eyelid, though the young chap handing out buscuits did pass me by :lol:

I think it was a success. Where else can I try now....

chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi,
My wife breastfed all 5 of our children. So, I'm used to it when I see it. In fact, at my age, I consider it a real treat to see some 'boobies' in public. Now, if we can get the moms not to freak out when I sit next to them to observe "God's small miracle". :iconbiggrin:

I'm glad Grace has forgotten her password to this site. :wink:

Regards,
Chuck

Helsbells

disappointed to say that I have not been able to openly breastfeed in public having been encouraged by my husband and friends to drape a blanket over my shoulder to hide myself. I didn't like it, I wanted to look at my baby's face.
Breast fed in the back seat of the car and felt very self concious with people walking by. Don't feel confident at all about breastfeeding in public now. The expectation seems to be that you will hide under a blanket.

southeast-isher

I' m all for breastfeeding in public. I like breasts.

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Helsbells wrote:disappointed to say that I have not been able to openly breastfeed in public having been encouraged by my husband and friends to drape a blanket over my shoulder to hide myself. I didn't like it, I wanted to look at my baby's face.
Breast fed in the back seat of the car and felt very self concious with people walking by. Don't feel confident at all about breastfeeding in public now. The expectation seems to be that you will hide under a blanket.
That's such a shame. Is there a breastfeeding support group where you are? Or breastfeeding cafe? That way you could get your confidence up, although if your hubby isn't supportive it's kind of difficult.

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 0 0 0
longitude: 51 38 28

Can't help some of the posts by the male of the species are not helpful to a mum struggling to get her confidence up to breast feed in public. However glass half full says some of the posts are lovely and can we remind the other's to see what this threads really all about! Its about the Feeding, not the Breasts!!

oldjerry

Agree 100%. The interweb will always be a curtain for sad juveniles to hide behind.Ignore them.(You and your infant are far more important)

southeast-isher

oldjerry wrote:Agree 100%. The interweb will always be a curtain for sad juveniles to hide behind.Ignore them.(You and your infant are far more important)
Hey i hope you weren't referring to my comment as i would happily say the same in person or on the phone. I do genuinely love breasts and feel they should be out at any opportunity possible, including breastfeeding.

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 0 0 0
longitude: 51 38 28

What on earth do you mean- breast feeding should not been seen as an opportunity for women to get their breasts out! to include this comment on a thread about breast feeding is very strange. I too like women's breasts, but don't think wether we like them or not has anything to do with breast feeding. Some women have posted about finding it very difficult to have the confidence to breast feed in public, and it because of the way comments like this can be percived as it being an opportunity to 'cop a look' as my partner would say is why women feel vunreable. You may feel that this is silly, or whatever, but you must see that some women would find this very difficult. We should be doing all we can to make women feel comfortable to do this.

In our society, we are inundated with images of breasts as sexual organs, but I really feel that when it comes to breast feeding, can we make an effort to detach that from the discussion and experience. I remember at my nct group feeling very odd watching a dvd of a group of women breast feeding, and when I thought about it, it was because it was so alien. It is still an unusual experience to see a women breast feed outside of parent groups ect.

Up the revolution- breast feeding to the fore!! ( I was'nt able to bf my one and only- but we should do our best to make the most natrual and normal experience)

Sam