A little bit pregnant...

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Kaida
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

A little bit pregnant...

Hey everyone,

I've just found out I'm expecting! I'm only 4 weeks and some odd days, so really really early days, but I'm already planning! It's come as something of a surprise, because although DH and I were planning a pregnancy, we weren't exactly trying, more not trying not to lol, and not expecting it to happen quite so quickly! I must be really fertile!

So while getting over the shock, I've been planning eco-friendly, self-sufficient, ethical baby-raising.

My plan so far:

Cloth nappies
Breastfeeding until at least 1 year
Baby-led weaning at 6 months or so
Not overdoing it on toys
Slings and baby carriers in preferrence to pushchair

Anything I've missed?

thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: A little bit pregnant...

Congratulations hun.

What about organic or second hand clothing? Second hand baby equipment?

There is a thread somewhere about what items are really essential for a baby, and what just make life a bit easier.

I would not set all of these plans in stone, as with the best will in the world things do not always go to plan. I could not bf dd2, but I am still feeding ds and he is six and a half months. I wanted all natural births and ended up with two sections, after the first I reall beat myself up about it. Motherhood can be tricky enough, without you being too hard on yourself.

Have a very happy and healthy nine months.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congratulations :cheers:

I second the motion of not setting things in stone... I couldn't breast-feed my LO and I really beat myself up about it (still do really) but it doesn't always work out the way you hope. Likewise, it took me 9 months before I got E into cloth nappies, we just couldn't get the hang of it to start with. Similarly... baby-led weaning at 6 months, E was stealing bits of toast from my hands at 4 months :lol: We did not over do the toys... then grandparents and aunties, and friends come to visit (in the early days keep a hold of carrier bags and go back to the shop to exchange it for something more relevant/useful)

It is a good time to look out for hand-me-downs and charity shop finds that can be spruced up in the next few months.

But most importantly... look after yourself just now and remember to try and relax and enjoy your pregnancy :flower:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

thesunflowergal

Or tell people what you want/need so you do not end up with 10 cuddley toys.

Your local NCT sale would be worth a look for any items that you need.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Congratulations :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Long time since I had mine - she's nearly 25 :shock: but from what I remember I agree with the above about not setting things in stone. We used terry nappies and I breast fed until I went back to work - all the rushing around and difficulty finding time to express meant my milk dried up within a couple of weeks of returning. But she had a good start so I wasn't too upset by it.

The thing I remember upset me most was - grandparents! All lovely, well-meaning folk but with their own ideas about parenting which didn't necessarily tally with mine. I remember her first Easter - I specifically requested no chocolate (she was only 7 months old!) and wasn't bothered if she didn't get anything. But OHs parents came round with a truckload of eggs.

The problem is they can get quite upset if they think you're rejecting their efforts - they thought I was really weird about the whole sweet stuff thing :roll:

So we ate them - I was determined my gal wasn't going to get a sweet tooth before she even had teeth. :lol: Sometimes you just have to look like you're going along with things.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

Congratulations, I will go along with everything that has been said, but most of all relax whenever you can, pamper yourself and really enjoy being pregnant, you will not have the luxury of time to yourself with the next one!!!! :cheers:
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

theabsinthefairy

Congratulations.

Lots of good advice above,just going to add my little bit to the mix:

go with the flow with your baby and never entertain feelings of guilt if you have to use some disposable nappies one day or some formula etc etc etc. All too easy to get caught up in plans and then feel disappointed in yourself if you can't live up to your self set ideals. Babies are exhausting, remember to sleep when they sleep so you can enjoy your time together when you are both awake and rested.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Kaida
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Of course my plans are just plans, nothing's set in stone. But it's fun planning! Thanks for the wellwishes, and I will take your advice on board.

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

congratulations, like others have said go with the flow, i found that with the bounty packs and freebies i had enough nappies to get me through a couple of emergency nights, just sometimes not having to face the washing of nappies is nice especially with a little one, and especially ask people for what you want, or for money toward what you want.
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Congreats and blessings, by the way is being alittle bit pregnant like being a little bit broke, you either are or you arn't and if you arn't broke having children will soon solve the problem :lol:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

LyssaM
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Congratulations!!! My first was like that... we thought it's normal to take months even a year to concieve and we fell pregnant on the first go!!! (just to warn you... that's just beginners luck, pmsl... the next ones usually take longer like I'm pregant now, 19 weeks, and it took 3 years to get to this stage!)

It's really hard not to plan, isn't it? I'm a high risk pregnancy so tried not to plan but it's too impossible, lol... at least you don't have kids already... cos I got my sling out ready and the girls (4yrs + 6yrs) stole it to make a hammock in the garden!!! :shock: And they won't let me have it back!!! and my youngest is so excited she keeps nicking all the baby clothes and putting them under her bed!

If you need any advice about cloth nappies or anything baby related... feel free to ask! I used them for my 4yr old.

red

congrats :icon_smile:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ahhhh, congratulations! Same as everyone else - don't be too militant about any plans, it's very rare for everything to go exactly how you planned it! Just try to go with the flow, maybe book yourself in for some pregnancy massages (I had these when I was pregnant with my second daughter and it was L.O.V.E.L.Y!!! I got a bargain package which worked out £15 a massage for 4 massages. Even I can afford that!).

Oh, and try to get used to the idea of being behind with the housework and everywhere being a complete mess. This WILL happen! :flower:

Helsbells

Wooooo! Congratulations!! Wonderful news.
I would want exactly the same as you for my baby.

becks77

:cheers: Aww congratulations, and all best wishes
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"