The most eco friendly alternative to disposable nappies

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

I saw an article a few months ago (No idea where now to link back to it) that said babies of 30 plus years ago were potty trained much earlier as mothers, often with a number of children under schoolage, simply hated coping with the drudgery of cloth nappies. I don't have children, but I remember my sister, 40 years ago, living with 4 children under 4 and cloth nappies - those children were toilet trained VERY early (with no subsequent problems). :flower: I remember the buckets and buckets of soaking nappies, the constant washing machine loads of nappies and line fulls of nappies - her entire life, so it seemed, revolved about those damned, damned nappies.

If you want to be happy for a day, buy a car. If you want to be happy for a weekend, get married. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, be a gardener.

Millie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cornelian wrote:I remember the buckets and buckets of soaking nappies, the constant washing machine loads of nappies and line fulls of nappies - her entire life, so it seemed, revolved about those damned, damned nappies.
Modern cloth nappies are so far removed from that, thank goodness! I used cloth on my youngest and it was a pleasure :)

And cloth bums are drier sooner, which is a shame, because there are gorgeous nappies and wraps available!

Anyone wanting a nosey, check out www.theclothresource.co.uk there is a great nappy guide, and access to many nappy retailers. My personal fave is http://www.kittykins.co.uk/ you can also find great info on many parenting forums :)

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I couldnt do the catching method. Mind you, I'm getting quite good at noticing when my own little free range baby needs to poop.

but i still miss sometimes, then we get the "I've done a poo somewhere, I'm not going to tell you where it is I'm just going to grin at you, say poo a lot and giggle when you tread in it" game. :roll:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

getting there
Tom Good
Tom Good

Elimination communication wasn't for me so I didn't even try. I use organic bamboo nappies because of many reasons bamboo is natural and doesn't need chemicals to grow, it grows up to 3' a night, it uses very little nutrients from the soil, doesn't take up as much space to grow, doesn't need bleaching and colouring, is really asorbant and antimicrobal, washes easily (baking soda, white vinegar, lemon juice, and sunlight are my cleaners and whiteners), feels silky soft, :cheers:
Just because I can't do everything I won't fail to do something.