Good Deed of the Day

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Good Deed of the Day

A few weeks ago I was weeding the front garden and a little elderly lady stopped for a chat. She told me that she lost her husband a few weeks ago and it was the first time she had been out for a walk on her own. She was saying that when her husband was alive, he always used to stop when he got to my garden to admire the peace lily that grows in a sheltered spot in the corner.
I had taken a couple of tubers from the original plant and put them in the back garden a few years ago. Last year was the first time they had flowered, but Iasked her to wait, went and dug it up and put it in a pot for her to take home.
Sometimes it is just nice to do something nice for someone else, and it doesnt have to cost a thing. :flower:

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

The good thing about doing nice stuff for other people is that it comes back to you too. This morning I fitted my friends new light in her dining room. She was really pleased and the smile on her face was really good to see. She'd been given a bowl by someone else and passed it on to me - it's just what I'd been looking for. We also have a banana exchange - she gives me the bananas that her kids have forgotten to eat - some go to my chickens and the rest go to make banana cake - some of which go back to her! Smiles all round!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

gogreentips
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

SarahJane wrote:A few weeks ago I was weeding the front garden and a little elderly lady stopped for a chat. She told me that she lost her husband a few weeks ago and it was the first time she had been out for a walk on her own. She was saying that when her husband was alive, he always used to stop when he got to my garden to admire the peace lily that grows in a sheltered spot in the corner.
I had taken a couple of tubers from the original plant and put them in the back garden a few years ago. Last year was the first time they had flowered, but Iasked her to wait, went and dug it up and put it in a pot for her to take home.
Sometimes it is just nice to do something nice for someone else, and it doesnt have to cost a thing. :flower:
What a lovely thing to do SarahJane. I very much believe in karma and live by the rules of giving. By not expecting anything in return it makes for a more enjoyable event all together when people do repay favors. Here is a :flower: for you for being such a lovely person. It won't replace the one you gave away but hopefully bring a little sunshine into your day, albeit a virtual one.

Monika

eccentric_emma

That's such a great story! And I bet it made the lady really happy. I know how I'd feel if I was on the receiving end of such a kind gesture! :sunny:
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Rosendula

I have a lovely old man living next door to me. He's given me all sorts of things - a CD player that was doing nothing in his shed, a loaf of bread when he bought the wrong one by accident, a pie he bought to eat with his sister who then couldn't make it, rhubarb root, all sorts. I always feel awful because I've never given anything back. I did once give him a loaf of home-made bread, and was very pleased with myself, but in hindsight it was back when I first started making it and the crusts were like rock and I worry he might have broken his teeth on it :pale: The other week I got so excited when I finally managed to make some jam (using some of the rhubarb from the plant he gave me). I was so looking forward to giving him a jar, but while it was still cooling he told me his son (who lives with him) has been told he has diabetes! How about that for timing?

Anyway, this year I have loads of potatoes growing, so I'm hoping I can treat him to some of those and some of my other veg. In fact, one of the reasons I took on a second allotment plot was so that I could give stuff away to neighbours and in-laws. I like the idea of giving a box of veg to my next door neighbour and telling him to take what he wants and pass the rest on to the next house and tell them to do the same.
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

Great idea! I love being able to give things away - partly cos I hate to see any glut go to waste but I just enjoy giving away things that I've made or grown myself, especially when I get nice compliments back. :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

SamNurse
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

i always seem to be picked on , for directions, getting things from top shelves etc..... but it does feel good to help :thumbleft:
[about Tom's ideal of self sufficiency]
Jerry: You're totally insane.
Tom: Jerry, we've never been saner in all our lives.

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

What a lovely thing to do SarahJane--and everyone else who shares their bounty :flower: . Since I have managed not to kill off as many plants as anticipated, I hope to share what I grow with family, friends and neighbours. It's one of the unexpected perks to having a garden this year; it makes me more inclined to get out and about and talk to people.
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

The idea of mutal aid and gift economy underlie sane societies and demonstrate that humans are funamentally decent, social beings. (As the free advice, encouragement and support offered on this site shows.)

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Jim,

I totally agree with you. It is so reaffirming to get out and share with people and, in turn, they rarely disappointed in their own capacity to be generous and kind.

Have a great day,
Martina
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/